Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rubicon Trail

Senior Member Getting Dirty
    Quote Originally Posted by pjmjr508 View Post
    For all those people that have done this trail, a question.
    How long does it take to get thru it? Some read its a few days to a week.
    Also to add to my list of needed I think a metal front & rear bumper will be needed on top of what I have to get thur the trail with tearing it up.
    Any thoughts? (anyone)
    Stock except for a set of MTRs, Beats me what you would need, but we have a longer wheelbase than the 4runner, and they had dents in the doors and fenders. Might just be the lines they chose, but it makes me skeptical.
    2007 Jeep Commander: QTII, Leather, Sunroof, remote start, OEM Skid Plates, 2 in Daystar lift, 255.75.17 BFG Mud Terrains on Moabs, 1.25 " Spidertrax wheel spacers, 4x Guard front guard and Side Guards, Optima Red Top, Robbys half inch leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shocks, Pinch weld mod and trimming!

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    Obviously you will need every piece of armor sold and a real good set of rock sliders. Also front and rear steel bumpers are a must especially the rear bumper you will be slamming it down the entire time. 33" tires don't care what lift you have or how you fit them on that would be the smallest tire I would try it with. I would run the trail doors off with some solid tubbed doors installed. I would also make some custome armor for the rear drive shaft and rear diff area protecting that are so you can slide off or over stuff. Of course a really decent winch with plent of shackles and pulleys and stuff so you can get creative when it comes time to get pulled off or over something. That would be my minimum requirements so the trail is fun and not a nightmare to take. A stock unlimited can make it we can have some fun with this setup on the trail. Also you can strip the jeep as well pull the fenders and the doors there ain't a whole left to dent.
    Last edited by Sal-XK; 07-18-2011 at 05:12 AM.

Senior Member Getting Dirty NeilSmith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Dude, sounds like an expensive ride.
    '07 Commander 3.7 V6
    2" Rough Country Lift with Vision Warriors and Goodyear Duratracs 245/75R17
    BajaRack Mega-Mule with KC Daylighters
    http://s624.photobucket.com/albums/t...cpZZ1QQtppZZ20

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty pjmjr508's Avatar
    hmmm now is the expense worth it, not sure yet.
    I have all the skids and rockrails already except the front, and the rear sliders from 4x. Still need to get front & rear bumpers as well. also unless I want to upgrade to a 4" lift I do not seeing getting 33's under it, I have 31's now.
    I do like the input on this thread, so keep it coming.
    PJMJR508
    (Happy Jeep)

I was pretty much describing my build except I will be shooting for 35" tires. I also should add to the list front and rear disconnects, JBA UCA'S and adjustable front strut and longer shocks in the rear and don't forget the fuel tank mod so the rear can flex all the way. If you looking at a chance without any body damage and it's only a chance these are the things I would do or I am going to do.

Thanks Sal. Now from what I have read front disconnects are not a good idea, but the rears with limiting straps are a must.
    PJMJR508
    (Happy Jeep)

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty XK N00b's Avatar
    I'm not sure if this is encouraging or not, but here are some photos of a stock WK earning its badge and the results

2008 Overland in Black
    Loaded, Leather, 5.7 Hemi QDII,
    All 3 MOPAR Skids, VEC, Tow Pkg., 2" Rough Country Lift, 1 1/4" Spidertrax spacers, 255/75/17 BFG M/T's, Flowmaster 50 series muffler

Front discos are rough on the parts for sure but the damage done is cheap enough fixed and a lot cheaper then body damage and it's not like the half shafts and tirods will wear out over night either. I think for that once in a life time trip it's well worth it.

That WK is messed up man LOL that looked like fun especially if your not covering the cost to repair it.

I do see your point.
    Now yes they are beat up, still keep in mind that they are completely stock. So along those lines, I have this question. If I remember right that the new wk has an air ride system which raises it for off road; the question is this how much of max clearence did that stock wk have and got that damage compared to our lifted modded rigs.
    PJMJR508
    (Happy Jeep)

From the pics it looks like a decent set of rockers and a steel bumper would of absorbed most if not all the damage. Keeping in mind that they probably took plenty of bypasses. With our longer wheel base and longer over hang in the back means you will be slamming that rear down a lot. A steel bumper and a slide on the frame rails back there will help you just scoot down all those ledges. Increasing the articulation will help a lot with all the off camber stuff you will find your self in so I think the front discos with the new arms and struts are well worth it.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information