Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Rubicon Trail

Senior Member Getting Dirty

Stock Commander Limited, with professional drivers and lots of rock stacking. This is the damage that I would be worried about. I dont mind dragging the bottom over a few rocks, but the doors, and all the body panels are f'ed up, not what I want to do to my daily driver. This was to earn the Trail Rated badge though.
    2007 Jeep Commander: QTII, Leather, Sunroof, remote start, OEM Skid Plates, 2 in Daystar lift, 255.75.17 BFG Mud Terrains on Moabs, 1.25 " Spidertrax wheel spacers, 4x Guard front guard and Side Guards, Optima Red Top, Robbys half inch leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shocks, Pinch weld mod and trimming!

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/g-cl...e-rubicon.html

Here is the thread of a bunch of guys bashing on the XK as well.
    2007 Jeep Commander: QTII, Leather, Sunroof, remote start, OEM Skid Plates, 2 in Daystar lift, 255.75.17 BFG Mud Terrains on Moabs, 1.25 " Spidertrax wheel spacers, 4x Guard front guard and Side Guards, Optima Red Top, Robbys half inch leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shocks, Pinch weld mod and trimming!

Senior Member Getting Dirty NeilSmith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    i dont believe that is what earns the trail rated badge per say. that trail is just where the get the rubicon name for the wranglers. being trail rated doesnt mean you can traverse the rubicon trail in a stock liberty, or commander for that matter. if you dont give a damn what kind of damage you get you could wheel any vehicle you wanted. in my opinion " trail rated " and " rubicon " are just names meant to get sales and in the real world dont really mean much.
    Last edited by NeilSmith; 07-19-2011 at 08:26 AM.
    '07 Commander 3.7 V6
    2" Rough Country Lift with Vision Warriors and Goodyear Duratracs 245/75R17
    BajaRack Mega-Mule with KC Daylighters
    http://s624.photobucket.com/albums/t...cpZZ1QQtppZZ20

I had read something in a magazine that Jeep was using the trails as proof it was more than just marketing. Either way, I just thought it was interesting to see how much damage was done to the Commander.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty pjmjr508's Avatar
    Dam a lot of damage in stock form, it still completed it tho. Now we know the drive trail can do it, now to get the body to live thru it with little to none. I do see that bumpers & sliders will be a must before even attempting at the least.
    PJMJR508
    (Happy Jeep)

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty XK N00b's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Holaday07 4.7 View Post
    http://www.benzworld.org/forums/g-cl...e-rubicon.html

Here is the thread of a bunch of guys bashing on the XK as well.
    I was wondering if anyone else read this using that arrogant yacht club accent
    2008 Overland in Black
    Loaded, Leather, 5.7 Hemi QDII,
    All 3 MOPAR Skids, VEC, Tow Pkg., 2" Rough Country Lift, 1 1/4" Spidertrax spacers, 255/75/17 BFG M/T's, Flowmaster 50 series muffler

Quote Originally Posted by XK N00b View Post
    I was wondering if anyone else read this using that arrogant yacht club accent
    No, but after you said that I did. Much more enjoyable that way

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty pjmjr508's Avatar
    LOL
    PJMJR508
    (Happy Jeep)

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty WanderingTs's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I actually set out with the intent to run this trail last week. After talking to some other locals, I decided not to risk it due to the extremely high water crossings this year due to the HUGE snowpack we got. Rivers are still running very high. I didn't want to be turned back by water. On the trails I did take, I got snowed out in a few places. There were also several trails I couldn't take due to water crossings that should have been dry by now.

The only two things I am really worried about on the Rubicon is the "gatekeeper" section, which has few bypasses, and another section I have seen photos of but never seen in person. That place has a narrow pass through betweeen boulders with a turn right next to it. I have seen photos of rubicons with only a couple inches clearance on either side. I am wondering if the longer wheelbase will make it.

My plan is to go in from the Tahoe side (easy way) and work my way back until I get to something I don't want to cross. I am pretty well armored, but I don't want to damage anything, especially the body if I can help it. I am much more interested in seeing the country than taking the hard way. That means I will take any bypass I can find to keep going.

Hopefully I may get a day or two to do this in the next few weeks. Watch for photos of my other adventure last week (including my first winch rescue) coming soon (I hope) to another thread.
    Last edited by WanderingTs; 07-20-2011 at 09:14 PM.
    The best things in life can not be found on a map; they can only be found while Wandering.
    __________________________________________________ ___

2007 XK - 4.7L Flex Fuel // Rocky Road 2.25 lift // Rocky Road Super Sliders // Toyo Open Country 265/70R17 tires // 4xGuard Front Guard // 4xGuard Belly Guard // 4xGuard Matrix-HC with optional front hitch // Warn XD9000I hitch mounted winch // Graco Carseat for the Youngun

http://www.xk-forum.com/blog.php - The Wild(life) Side of Jeeping

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread Information