Thread: WANTED: Rock Rails/Sliders Used

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Senior Member Getting Dirty

WANTED: Rock Rails/Sliders Used

I know it is a long shot, but if anyone is upgrading an old pair, or is selling their Jeep and can get away with selling them and replacing it with the plastic ones. I would really like a set, and this is the only way that it will fit in the budget. Got a wedding to pay for and a kid in Daycare so its this, or fab my own, and that won't be very pleasing to the eye.
    Last edited by Knappster; 05-19-2011 at 08:50 AM.
    2007 Jeep Commander: QTII, Leather, Sunroof, remote start, OEM Skid Plates, 2 in Daystar lift, 255.75.17 BFG Mud Terrains on Moabs, 1.25 " Spidertrax wheel spacers, 4x Guard front guard and Side Guards, Optima Red Top, Robbys half inch leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shocks, Pinch weld mod and trimming!

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Tymac's Avatar
    If you plan to fab your own I suggest buying a set from trail-gear.com. I modified their 78" to fit my Commander. Took about 2 hours and they were done. I've hit them hard many times with no issues. Too bad they aren't on sale anymore, because I got mine shipped for what they are selling for now.
    They aren't as sexy as many of the others out there, but I prefer they way they mount over the others I've seen. You won't lose clearance, because they don't hang below your subframe.
    Last edited by Tymac; 05-23-2011 at 12:20 PM.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    Thats a decent price thats not bad at all. What did you modify on them?

You need to shorten them by 6 inches. Then I welded on tabs so it can be bolted to the pinch welds. Next weld plating to subframe and finally weld the cross bars or make a bracket so they can be bolted on.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    Did you box out your sub frame rail with steel right there. I think I asked that right.

You absolutely should plate the subframe, because if you have a major impact it could go right into the subframe. You only need a plate about 4 inches larger that the cross tube. It'll help carry the load incase of impact.

I did not do mine, as my sliders should up in ups as I was packing for West Coast Camp Commander #1. I forgot to order the plates and didn't want to wait. Shame on me, but they have done exceptionally well.

I have seen 1 brand of XK rocksliders fail on the trail. It uses nutserts to attach to the rocker panel. It happened on p@55w0rd's XK at Badlands 2 years ago. The rocker took a hit, up went the slider into the bottom of his fender and door. This company is out of the making sliders business. I believe the cause of failure was the small nutserts and poor design combined.

Thread Information