Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Full Size Spare tire

Junior Member Looking for Dirt SKIUTAHJEEP's Avatar

Full Size Spare tire

In the next few days I am picking up my full size spare. 265/70-17 Bridgestone Dueler Revo 2 and a matching MB wheel v-drive. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WheelCloseSHade.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	36.7 KB 
ID:	687 When I had my new tires installed I had them see if it would fit where the stock spare goes and it fits even when its inflated. Now here is my question. When I am wheeling I am thinking about securing my spare in the hatch over the 3rd row of seats so I don’t risk hitting the spare when wheeling. The tires are about 1" closer to the ground since it is a wider tire. Has anyone done this? I am sure a few bungee cords or twine will keep it from bouncing around. (sounds ghetto I know) Or should I just keep the tire under the car? And what do you guys use to put your jack on when out in the dirt? Some sort of metal plate? Wood? Your foot?

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    I bang my spare all the time under neath there. Haven't had an issue yet I just consider it a ghetto rock slider LOL. But some bungee cords will hold it down in the back it's just taking up cargo space back there. If you have the cross rails just move them real close and strap it up there.

Senior Member Getting Dirty Chapman89's Avatar
    Well I know for a fact that the 265/70 didn't fit under my XK, do you the factory tow package?

You could definitely secure it in the cargo area or just strap it to the roof before you go wheeling like I do. I figure if anything happens while in town I'll call AAA.
    Current: 2013 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 Speed

Traded: 2006 XK Limited 5.7 QD-2

Junior Member Looking for Dirt SKIUTAHJEEP's Avatar
    No, I do not have the tow package... that must be why it fits. I will take a photo once I get it installed. I do like the roof idea better for wheeling than throwing it in the cargo area. Thanks for the tips.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty TrialByFire's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal-XK View Post
    I bang my spare all the time under neath there. Haven't had an issue yet I just consider it a ghetto rock slider LOL.
    Same here. Without the spare underneath, there is a lot to get hung up on. If it fits, leave it. On the roof you'll just be more tippy.
    '06 XK Limited, 5.7 Hemi, QDII, OME struts & HD springs, JBA UCAs, 285/70R17 BFG KM2, 4XGuard Sliders, 4XGuard Diff Guard, Fox 2.0 reservoir shocks, custom bumpers and Warn xi9000
    Wish list: SFA, in-dash Windows 8 PC
    http://www.fuelly.com/driver/Blade/commander

Senior Member Getting Dirty hoaxci5's Avatar
    I leave mine underneath.. as far as the jack goes, if you lifted and got bigger tires make sure your stock jack will still work on solid ground before you need it. Mine didn't so I bought a piece of 4x4 (I think?) that is big enough to put under the jack to give it the extra height should I ever need to use it.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty pjmjr508's Avatar
    it must because of the tow package, I wish I could have mine underneith, but mine will not fit & same size tire. I have mine strapped to my roof rack. Also when lifted & larger tires you should pick up a highlift jack or something like it.
    PJMJR508
    (Happy Jeep)

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Are you planning on doing a 5 wheel rotation? If not, I'd just use the stock rim and put a larger tire on that. A wider aftermarket rim is a waste under there and just decreases clearance.

As far as the hi-lift.... they're really not needed with a 2" spacer lift and 32-33" tires. There aren't any lift points in the front (stock anyway) and the stock jack is plenty to get the rear up when placed under the axle. You're better off carrying around a little platform made by two 4x4s screwed together.... the stock jack on that wont have any issue getting the fronts off the ground, especially with just a 2" spacer lift where you really don't need to go much higher than if you were changing the tire on a stock XK (since you're not "adding" 2 inches of down travel, you just reduce how far the jack actually has to raise the vehicle)

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Tymac's Avatar
    I have my 265/70 underneath and I have a factory tow package. I just air the tire down to fit. I have OBA so I'm never out of hot air

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty pjmjr508's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tymac View Post
    I have my 265/70 underneath and I have a factory tow package. I just air the tire down to fit. I have OBA so I'm never out of hot air
    I tried to get mine to fit & also had the tire shop try with no air in the tire & we could not get it to fit.
    PJMJR508
    (Happy Jeep)

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information