Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Full Size Spare tire

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    I think he said he had a few issues along the way

Senior Member Getting Dirty
    How much Ground Clearance was lost? It looks like it hangs a bit lower, and my stock spare already takes a fair amount of hits
    2007 Jeep Commander: QTII, Leather, Sunroof, remote start, OEM Skid Plates, 2 in Daystar lift, 255.75.17 BFG Mud Terrains on Moabs, 1.25 " Spidertrax wheel spacers, 4x Guard front guard and Side Guards, Optima Red Top, Robbys half inch leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shocks, Pinch weld mod and trimming!

Senior Member Getting Dirty Omelet's Avatar
    I was able to fit a stock Rubicon tire and wheel (255/75/17 MT) under mine after a little moddification to the hitch.

Stock - notice the four bolts that stick out along with the back of the receiver.

Some guys just trim all this down. I decided to chop off the nuts that are welded on and grind the receiver down flush with the welds. Then use carriage bolts and stuck them through from the inside out so the nuts are on the outside. This provided a nice smooth flat surface on the inside that took up minimal room.

The great thing is that the rear 4xGuard still fits perfectly with the tire in place!

And there isn't gobs of room between the tire and the track bar, but it fits.

[05 WK Khaki 4x4 5.7L QDII ][ 5" SL (OME HD coils and struts) ][ 295/70/17 Nitto Trail Grapplers on 17" Moabs (for the daily grind) ][ 35x12.50R17LT BFG MT KR (for wheeling) ][ Hidden Superwinch in stock bumper][ And soooooo much more... ]

Senior Member Getting Dirty NeilSmith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Im not so sure about changing out the bolts ( strength ). Would it fit if you just ground off the excess bolts and the excess part of the hitch where the receiver goes through ? This is what i would try .
    '07 Commander 3.7 V6
    2" Rough Country Lift with Vision Warriors and Goodyear Duratracs 245/75R17
    BajaRack Mega-Mule with KC Daylighters
    http://s624.photobucket.com/albums/t...cpZZ1QQtppZZ20

I thought about welding the hitch in place, but this way I can still easily remove it later if need be. The nuts that are welded to the back of the hitch are about 1" by themselves. Cuting the bolts to the nuts will give you about an extra inch, but removing the bolts and nuts will give you 2". I don't tow anything so for me the hitch is only for recovery. It just depends on how much room you need. I was trying to squeeze a tall skinny tire in there, so I needed as much room as I could get. If you don't have a hitch then it is easy!
    [05 WK Khaki 4x4 5.7L QDII ][ 5" SL (OME HD coils and struts) ][ 295/70/17 Nitto Trail Grapplers on 17" Moabs (for the daily grind) ][ 35x12.50R17LT BFG MT KR (for wheeling) ][ Hidden Superwinch in stock bumper][ And soooooo much more... ]

Senior Member Getting Dirty NeilSmith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    yeah, i use my hitch so... your tire is a little bigger, width and height, than mine.
    '07 Commander 3.7 V6
    2" Rough Country Lift with Vision Warriors and Goodyear Duratracs 245/75R17
    BajaRack Mega-Mule with KC Daylighters
    http://s624.photobucket.com/albums/t...cpZZ1QQtppZZ20

You could probably get away with just trimming the bolts down to the nuts and trimming the receiver!

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty
    Quote Originally Posted by Omelet View Post
    I thought about welding the hitch in place, but this way I can still easily remove it later if need be. The nuts that are welded to the back of the hitch are about 1" by themselves. Cuting the bolts to the nuts will give you about an extra inch, but removing the bolts and nuts will give you 2". I don't tow anything so for me the hitch is only for recovery. It just depends on how much room you need. I was trying to squeeze a tall skinny tire in there, so I needed as much room as I could get. If you don't have a hitch then it is easy!
    Heyy!!! It ain't that skinny.

I know! It's just that most guys go for the 265/70/17 which is a little shorter, but fatter. So the 255 is really on the skinnier side.

It's OK AJ! I ran them once too!!!

Senior Member Getting Dirty
    That is awesome! I have a spare 255 75 BFG mud, I didnt know that I could make it fit
    2007 Jeep Commander: QTII, Leather, Sunroof, remote start, OEM Skid Plates, 2 in Daystar lift, 255.75.17 BFG Mud Terrains on Moabs, 1.25 " Spidertrax wheel spacers, 4x Guard front guard and Side Guards, Optima Red Top, Robbys half inch leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shocks, Pinch weld mod and trimming!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread Information