Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Near Hydrolock

Senior Member Getting Dirty
    So I went to look around at the hardware store to see what I could come up with for a homemade snorkel and couldnt come up with anything. having the fenders but with the turn signal I was considering having it come out under the signal to avoid cutting and then run it along the top of the fender and up. However I'm not quite sure what to make it out of. I want to avoid pvc because it would be hard to get all the angles right. I was hoping to use a flexable piping like the stuff they use to connect the stock intake but much longer and run that all the way up but i'm not sure where to go about getting that.
    4.7L v8 QTII, Flowmaster Super 44, Jet Chip: Stage 1, Remote Start, 2.25" Rocky Road lift W/ shocks, .5" Rusty Off Road Strut Spacer, Midland CB Radio, PA Speaker,265/70/17 BFG Km2 Mud Terrain, XD Addict 17x9 Rims, Custom Roof Rack W/ 6 Off Road Lights, Custom Blue Lighting, Custom Front Bumper, Sony Head unit, Power Acoustic Amp, Alpine Type R Speakers (Waiting on Arrival), Upgraded Headlights Bulbs 3000K

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    Hey bro the reason you should stay away from PVC is it's heat rating is way low for this application. The pipe and glue can't handle the heat under the hood. You can switch over to PVC once you leave the engine compartment.

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Check out some of the connectors by Spectre at www.spectreperformance.com
    2006 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi
    Dark Khaki, QDII, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Steel Armadillo front bumper with Warn PowerPlant winch, Steel Armadillo rear bumper w/ tire carrier, Rock Sliders, Light Bar & Front Fender Tube Fenders, 4xGuard belly skid plate & rear differential guard, BFG M/T A/T 255/75R17s on Rubicon rims, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, Rhino Rack Pioneer Tray with FoxWing Awning, Superchips VIVID Programmer, Air Flow snorkel, Steel Armadillo Secure Console, Cobra CB Radio, Lock Pick Video Programmer, ASFIR Skid Plates.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

AKA: the Owner of The Steel Armadillo L.L.C.

Senior Member Getting Dirty
    You could run the intake through the firewall, and the filter would be right under the dash. Just a thought, and you would not see any of the cutting to the panels. Thats what a lot of the mud trucks my buddies run do.
    2007 Jeep Commander: QTII, Leather, Sunroof, remote start, OEM Skid Plates, 2 in Daystar lift, 255.75.17 BFG Mud Terrains on Moabs, 1.25 " Spidertrax wheel spacers, 4x Guard front guard and Side Guards, Optima Red Top, Robbys half inch leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shocks, Pinch weld mod and trimming!

I've heard that idea mentioned before but listen to the CAI sucking air in the engine compartment and imagine how loud that would be inside our quite cab's. The sound I think would be unbearable especially under throttle. IMO

Senior Member Getting Dirty hoaxci5's Avatar
    OMG inside the Jeep would be aweful. I had a true cold air intake on my explorer, which was inside the fender so it drew actual outside engine compartment air and I couldn't stand it, I put it back inside the engine compartment. Way to loud. I can't imagine inside.

I have an idea for a snorkel but not the time/capability to fabricate it. I wanted to do something similar to the military hummers with a top of the hood mounted bubble... kind of like a shaker hood but off to the side. Has anyone heard of, or set up something along these lines? There has to be aftermarket companies that could give you the basic parts to fab it up.

http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/v...p?f=45&t=64018

Parts

More snorkel pieces and info:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/hu...68/index6.html

http://www.donaldson.com/en/engine/air/index.html

Looks like you could come up with something pretty sweet from those basics. Getting it mounted and piped to the intake might be a pain in the arse but it'd be cool. I like the idea of using basic styrofoam to mock up the piping and then fiber glassing the heck out of it. Might be time consuming but shouldn't be too incredibly expensive. You always have the option of looking to a turbo kit for piping and elbows...

Hell, I haven't even pulled the Cover of my engine though so maybe this is completely unrealistic?
    Last edited by StateRoad42; 06-08-2011 at 09:06 AM.

I've looked into this and making one is not a big deal except people don't want to cut into there commander. For now I just made a CAI to get a little more protection from the water. I'll be putting something together at some point.

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    I had the CAI and then replaced it with a snorkle which required me to reinstal all the interior air breather componants, now I am considering removing the interior equipment and using a CAI pipe to my modified airbox and then to the snorkel for both more air AND water protection.
    2006 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi
    Dark Khaki, QDII, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Steel Armadillo front bumper with Warn PowerPlant winch, Steel Armadillo rear bumper w/ tire carrier, Rock Sliders, Light Bar & Front Fender Tube Fenders, 4xGuard belly skid plate & rear differential guard, BFG M/T A/T 255/75R17s on Rubicon rims, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, Rhino Rack Pioneer Tray with FoxWing Awning, Superchips VIVID Programmer, Air Flow snorkel, Steel Armadillo Secure Console, Cobra CB Radio, Lock Pick Video Programmer, ASFIR Skid Plates.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

AKA: the Owner of The Steel Armadillo L.L.C.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information