Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Doors Off

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar

Doors Off

Yup I took my doors off! I've been staring at them for a month or two now wondering what if. The doors block so much of your view off road now I can see both tires on my side and the pinch weld carving around and over rocks just got a lot easier. I also put the door on a scale wow there heavy. I figured they would be heavy but darn man. The rear doors weigh 70LBS a piece, The front door are about 90LBS a piece. So take all 4 doors off and you drop 320LBS of weight. Drop your spare tire and 3rd row and its starting to add up fast. I really shocked the wife. Oh My God your crazy spewed out of her mouth for like 5 minuets.

UPDATE:

CONS:
    Loose 4 speakers
    Computer doesn't like it at all
    HVAC system is useless
    Exposing lots of electrical systems to the weather
    Less safe in an accident
    Time consuming to remove and install
    Doors never felt right after going back on (passenger never lined up correctly either)
    Will need some type of replacement door to look good.

PROS:
    Jeep is a lot lighter
    You can see a lot more for the trails
    MPG's go up a lot
    Cool factor (MAYBE)

Last edited by Sal-XK; 10-03-2014 at 03:37 PM.

Senior Member Getting Dirty Ross's Avatar
    YES!!!! I have been wanting to do this for the longest time. Was it difficult having to deal with the wiring that goes in the door for the windows?

No they just unplug no big deal. Obviously the first door was a pain. The rear doors come off in like 2 minuets no big deal just remember to roll down the windows first. The fronts take some work because the bolts are hidden by the fender. I pulled the wheel well and flare off in one piece loosened the fender enough to get my impact in there and thats pretty much it. I haven't driven it yet but I think it looks cool.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Take it for a quick spin!

lol i want to know if your dash goes nuts when you put it in drive and it senses that all of the doors are open

Quote Originally Posted by Matt_ View Post
    Take it for a quick spin!

lol i want to know if your dash goes nuts when you put it in drive and it senses that all of the doors are open
    Pulling it out it said 2 doors open I laughed 4 doors gone stupid computer.

Senior Member Getting Dirty Ross's Avatar
    It would be cool if someone made some aftermarket doors that are more like lightweight wrangler doors

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Hey man I just had an idea that may help expedite the R&R of the doors for you. Find the nearest joists above your XK and mount some hooks. You can use the hooks to support the weight of the doors and even draw them into place but using one hook thats over the centerline of the jeep.

I though about something like that but I just lifted them off by hand. Now putting them on might be a different story.

Senior Member Getting Dirty NeilSmith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Ok, Im gonna go ahead and say it. If you insist on doing this, wait till you get to your campsite to take them off. Never drive on the street without the doors. the doors are a very important integral part of the vehicles strength. When a vehicle has a side impact, the doors basically keep the side from completely ripping open and allowing the other vehicle from entering into your passenger compartment. The door will no doubt save your life. If that is not good enough for you, the doors will save your kid's life also. The hardest part about removing the doors will be getting them aligned properly when putting them back on. Of course they arent made to be an easy removal like the Wranglers are. Have fun.
    '07 Commander 3.7 V6
    2" Rough Country Lift with Vision Warriors and Goodyear Duratracs 245/75R17
    BajaRack Mega-Mule with KC Daylighters
    http://s624.photobucket.com/albums/t...cpZZ1QQtppZZ20

Well I did do it for the trail depending on how hard they are to put back on dictates if I drive to the trail door less or not. I'm usually the only one in my jeep so I'm not worried about that but I knew it would be more dangerous if I wrecked it without doors when I took them off. As far as flex goes on two tires all the doors and rear hatch open and close no problem so I don't see the doors as part of the system supplying strength in that situation.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information