Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Overland Trail Rated?

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Not 100% sure about the packages and whats included. It would be odd for those things to be included in an "offroad" package and not get the trail rated badge though. In any case, I wouldn't worry about it... there's no real reason why yours isn't "trail rated". Sounds like a badging loophole to me.

And thanks man. Hang around here and you'll have that little lift in no time

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    US 4x4 models:
    XK Commanders that have the "Trail Rated" badge have a 4WD system(Jeep standards) and XK Commanders w/out the "Trail Rated" badge have an AWD system(Jeep standards).

The only "Trail Rated" 4WD "system" Jeep uses on the XK Commander is the NV245 two-speed electronically shifted transfer case which has 4x4 low (lock), neutral and full-time active 4x4 with an electronically controlled clutch pack torque transfer torque split, front/rear 48/52.

Jeep uses two different trade marked Four Wheel-Drive SYSTEMs that utilize this NV245 transfer case, Quadra-TracII and Quadra-DriveII. But, both are actually the same NV245 system with the difference being that the Quadra-DriveII adds ELSD which is Electronic Limited Slip Differentials.

The non-"Trail Rated" system uses a single-speed full-time NV140 transfer case which has an electronically controlled clutch pack torque transfer torque split, front/rear 48/52. This is closer to many car based SUV AWD systems.

IIRC, all Hemi 4x4 XKs use the "Trail Rated" NV245 system (Quadra-DriveII). 4.7L XKs use the "Trail Rated" NV245 system (Quadra-TracII) as part of the Off-Road Package. Also, I believe there is a package combination you can get the "Trail Rated" NV245 system (Quadra-TracII) w/ the 3.7L but am unsure.

In a nutshell, a real two speed transfer case w/ low lock and neutral is needed by Jeep standards to tackle the "Trail Rated" requirements. The single speed full-time torque transfer system is AWD and therefore are not "Trail Rated".
    2006 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi
    Dark Khaki, QDII, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Steel Armadillo front bumper with Warn PowerPlant winch, Steel Armadillo rear bumper w/ tire carrier, Rock Sliders, Light Bar & Front Fender Tube Fenders, 4xGuard belly skid plate & rear differential guard, BFG M/T A/T 255/75R17s on Rubicon rims, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, Rhino Rack Pioneer Tray with FoxWing Awning, Superchips VIVID Programmer, Air Flow snorkel, Steel Armadillo Secure Console, Cobra CB Radio, Lock Pick Video Programmer, ASFIR Skid Plates.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

AKA: the Owner of The Steel Armadillo L.L.C.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    There are 5.7L XK's with QTII as well.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    The off road group package was not standard on any package diffidently not in 2008 and up. Overland is a trim package LT or SE in other brands and has nothing to do with its off road capabilities or the off road options. I'm not saying you don't have the off road group package it's just not standard. Many of new XK owners have mistaken there plastic debris covers as steel skid plates. The only true way to tell is crawl under there and take a look bro. There was no plastic shield covering your transfer case so if there is one there it's probably steel but don't assume make sure. Also I'm assuming there is Quadra Drive II badge underneath your TC handle? But your missing your Trail rated badge. Again I would confirm visually you have the QD2 system and not the QT2 system I don't trust badges. Here is a thread to help you out and confirm what you have so you know for sure.

How to tell what drive system I have

Stock Skids

With 4xguard skids and armor

Member Looking for Dirt
    I have the window sticker and it says QDII. From the best I can tell all Overland editions include the HEMI and QDII. As mentioned above, not all HEMI's have QDII though. Actually most HEMI's I saw has the QTII. I also found this website were I put in the VIN before I ever went to look at the car, it came back that it has the QDII. Oh, it does have the QDII badging on the center console.

I haven't crawled underneath but I will to check them out. On the graphics above, I know it does have the rear rock slides for certain, those are easily visible.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

The rock sliders are after market parts your seeing the frame rails back there. There pretty solid I've landed on them a few times. Overlands did come with QT2 though thats why encourage people to look. Since you have the window sticker and looked your vin up sounds like you're in good shape bro. If the window sticker says off road group then you probably have the steal skids and two front tow hooks as well. The first pick I put up is stock the stuff you should have the second one a drew all over is all after market skids you can purchase. Probably not worth it if your only doing maybe light wheeling except maybe the belly guard, for the price to cover your cats its worth it I think. Open a garage post some pics sounds like you have a nice XK we would love to see it.

Member Looking for Dirt
    Actually, this one has zero options. However, with because it was an Overland just about everything came as standard equipment. Looking at the list of standard equipment I see Quadra-Drive II, Electronic Limited Slips Front/Rear Difs, and Skid Plate Group. It doesn't say 'off road group' anywhere but it does show what I just mentioned and I know it has the front tow hooks also. FYI, an '08 Overland with destination charges and no options stickered for $43,680. The only thing I know that we don't have on this is the Rear DVD.

I follow you know on the graphics. I thought rear portion of the frame was designed to take some hits from rocks. It looks pretty beafy.

You diffidently got a pretty sweet XK there bro. The QD2 system is just sick off road and with a small 2" lift and some tires its almost unstoppable. You got the most important options in already the DVD system can be added not a big deal but trying to add QD2 is large expensive undertaking. They might of changed the wording on the options I know on some it was worded off road group but its pretty cool you found one with that option believe it or not that option is rare to find. I think most of us on here had to purchase and install that option afterwards. That rear portion is beefy I've slammed down a few times and barely a scratch on them. And WOW on that price man just sick. I have the sport myself I liked the interrior look better I have a bunch of options I just didn't like the leather or the wood grain look. Where you from anyway?

Member Looking for Dirt
    Actually, this is my wifes daily driver, we replaced her Honda CRV with it. I wasn't much on the wood grain and leather myself from photos, but in person I really liked it a lot. Anyhow, I won't be doing much at all with it for the near future. This one has just a hair of 30K miles so we will be babying it for the foreseeable future. However in a few years once my car is paid off we will get my wife something else and the Commander will become mine. At that time, I hope to start playing with it a little and doing some light offroading. A 2" lift and tires are on the dream list, but I'm holding off on those. I'm just glad I now have the right platform to build on once the time comes.

I updated my profile to show my location of WV.
    2008 Jeep Commander Overland

we held a couple of camp commanders in Harrisonburg WV I think thats the closets town. You should consider coming out when we go back to GWNF stock with skids will have no issues up there it was mostly just rough forest roads but it was a good time. I know some guys are planing a day trip up there in August I think it was. Don and I are planning camping trip up there not sure when though something to keep in mind if your into that sort of stuff.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information