Thread: When rinsing the mud just isn't enough

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Tymac's Avatar

When rinsing the mud just isn't enough

Until late last year I ran my Commander as hard as anyone I've seen. In Ohio we have lots of mud, rock, sand and dust. Well on my trip to Colorado last season I found out these wheeling trips through mud were beginning to take it's toll.

At idle with the a/c on it would slowly heat up so much that the a/c would overheat and shut off. Then shortly after the Commander's guage would get close to topping out. After three trips to the carwash and only focusing on the radiator, condensor and trans cooler I thought I had it clean. Wrong.

The only way to get it completely clean was to remove the radiator. I went a little further so I could address some loose plastic. I've now run another 10 gallons of water and detergent over and through the system and debris/mud is still coming out. This should keep me nice and cool this summer.

Senior Member Getting Dirty NeilSmith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    We ran into some guys at Uwaharrie that were in a Cherokee, driving a little wild to say the least. Well we met them on the side of the road a bit later. Their radiator was caked full of mud and they had no way to wash it out. May a lesson be learned.
    '07 Commander 3.7 V6
    2" Rough Country Lift with Vision Warriors and Goodyear Duratracs 245/75R17
    BajaRack Mega-Mule with KC Daylighters
    http://s624.photobucket.com/albums/t...cpZZ1QQtppZZ20

Senior Member Getting Dirty
    agreed ^^^
    2007 Jeep Commander: QTII, Leather, Sunroof, remote start, OEM Skid Plates, 2 in Daystar lift, 255.75.17 BFG Mud Terrains on Moabs, 1.25 " Spidertrax wheel spacers, 4x Guard front guard and Side Guards, Optima Red Top, Robbys half inch leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shocks, Pinch weld mod and trimming!

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Tymac's Avatar
    Yesterday I decided to run it to my buddy's raditor shop for a good steam cleaning. We pulled more mud out of it. Got it back together last night and all is back to normal. Guess the true test comes next month when I tow my 27' travel trailer to Buena Vista.

Thread Information