Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: will go forward in 4 lo, but will not go in 4 hi

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty pjmjr508's Avatar

will go forward in 4 lo, but will not go in 4 hi

I was wheelin & fully loaded with 7 people I was doing an extrememly muddy v noch uphill at about 40 or so degrees. Search (Happy Jeep) in you tube and you will see me going down this while dry last year, just change to me going up it in rain meanwhile vary muddy.
    I blew my passenger rear bead on the tire, and was told that my front wheels were not moving. After winching me to the top and changed my tire. I found that I was not able to go forward in 4 hi. When I put in 4 hi I hear a noise around my front passanger wheel. Maybe cv axel blown. But when I put in 4 lo I am able to go forward but no power to the front wheels.

So had it flat bedded to a friends property. it is sitting there until I can get someone with a flat bed & a truck to take me to get it. its 250 miles plus away.

BTW I will post pic's soon. Next time if its only myself & someone on 40's want to do the trail out of 15 rigs maybe I shouldn't lol

Let me know what you guys think
    PJMJR508
    (Happy Jeep)

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    first thing I would do is visually inspect everything. Make sure you dont have any broken axles or driveshafts.

Then make sure you're taking it out of low properly. Make sure you're in Neutral and if you can, try rolling slowly in neutral (via a hill or something) while you take it out of Lo.

If its coming out of Lo properly, try the other gears of the trans manually, reverse too (rule out a trans issue).

If that doesn't work, drain the tcase fluid and inspect.... then fill with fresh fluid and try again.

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    I was running Crown King a couple of years ago and lost all power to the front wheels, it ended up being the shift module.
    2006 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi
    Dark Khaki, QDII, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Steel Armadillo front bumper with Warn PowerPlant winch, Steel Armadillo rear bumper w/ tire carrier, Rock Sliders, Light Bar & Front Fender Tube Fenders, 4xGuard belly skid plate & rear differential guard, BFG M/T A/T 255/75R17s on Rubicon rims, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, Rhino Rack Pioneer Tray with FoxWing Awning, Superchips VIVID Programmer, Air Flow snorkel, Steel Armadillo Secure Console, Cobra CB Radio, Lock Pick Video Programmer, ASFIR Skid Plates.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

AKA: the Owner of The Steel Armadillo L.L.C.

I know I snapped something, just don't know yet.

It's still sitting on a friends farm in OR, will be getting it Sunday. 2 main reasons why haven't got it back yet; Had foot surgery on the 31st on my right foot. Just now I am able to weight on it, money. When they did get on the flat bed I was told that it does appear to have a twisted or snapped axle or cv on the pass side.

This will give you an idea of the section of the trail is like by these 2 videos on youtube.
    The first link is of a friends rig that was with us on this trip going down the section that I broke on going up the trail.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pItaWDZ-h3U (the spot I broke was about 0:35)
    The 2nd is myself going down the trail with the video is from inside of the jeep looking out
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2umytLd86v8

I am still trying to get a copy of video of us coming down that thing. It was a blast.
    PJMJR508
    (Happy Jeep)

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    Going up that with 7 people in your jeep is crazy bro it wouldn't surprise me that something broke that's a lot of weight. You came down hard enough to blow you bead so your wheels were probably way up there spinning when it landed that will throw a CV pretty easy. The good news is CV axles are pretty cheap and you can do that your self. I'd be more worried about the TC and any damage to it. You can get a TC used which is probably the best way to go unless you have tons of cash to spend. Let us know what you find bro.

Yes a lot of weight, and yes I am crazy lol I am told that alot. Well the bead I popped was on the passanger rear tire not the front. I am hoping it is just the CV joint, no I do not have a lot of cash, but I bought this to Wheel & will do so. Next time you get to the west coast you need to run some of these trails they are a blast.

Next time doing this trail not as many people & also maybe another line. also next time when there is 15 rigs and myself & 1 other (the one locked & on 40's) are the only ones that will do the trail maybe I shouldn't lol. Either way I had a blast
    PJMJR508
    (Happy Jeep)

I'm told I'm crazy all the time, I think most of us on here fit that bill though. A used TC can be found for just a few hundo so if you need one that's the route I would go. The CV's I've looked them up before there pretty cheap just remember there side specific so get the correct one. And by the way bro I would of diffidently followed you up that run and broke my **** right behind you LOL

lol
    I think our wives will kill us if we wheel together. but it would be fun lol. I like to push my cars & truck to thier limits.
    PJMJR508
    (Happy Jeep)

Ya my wife would flip if I went out with someone crazy me. She would be afraid we would try one upping each other or something and both break are **** in the middle of nowhere. LOL

my wife the feels the same, and lets be real. we would lol.
    PJMJR508
    (Happy Jeep)

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information