Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: will go forward in 4 lo, but will not go in 4 hi

Senior Member Getting Dirty Adondo's Avatar
    I finally saw this thread. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but... I think you broke a front axle shaft.

Low range locks the differential center, hence you can move. In high range, the center is unlocked. Even with QDII, you need wheel sensors for the computer's input, and the free spinning axle won't trigger that since the sensor is on the back of the brake rotor, so you won't get a clutch lockup in the differential. And, all the torque is going to a ''dead zone'' with a broken axle, so you don't go anywhere.
    2006, 4.7L, QTII, Toyo Wild Country M/T 265/70R17 tires, Ultrasport 175 wheels, Rocky Road 2.25'' lift kit, HID off-road lighting, Surco 50x60 roof rack, Foxwing awning, Superchips performance programming.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty pjmjr508's Avatar
    that makes complete sense.

I think you talking about the axel half shafts right? If so I was doing a quick search and found these. http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/co...hhZnRzKQ%3D%3D

These are what your talking about right? If so any input on which to pick. The part I am confused is why the reman is more expensive than the new, they look the same other than the mileage. If I am missing something please let me hear it.

Also if the cv axels are the weak point, do they make stronger ones so I do not have to worry about this happening again?
    PJMJR508
    (Happy Jeep)

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    I think he is talking about the propeller shaft which is the drive shaft from the TC to the front diff.

Sal I don't think it is that. My right foot is still bandaged up from foot surgery so have not dug into it yet. but have seen this, when in 4 hi & in gear the half shaft spins @ the cv joint from the tc to the cv joint. the shaft on the other side of the joint does not move (this is all on the pass side)

thats my guess right now, once I have walk more then a few steps before popping perkecets like candy I will be able to tear in to see.
    PJMJR508
    (Happy Jeep)

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    You guys need to work on your terminology because these posts are confusing as hell to follow.

You have a transfer case. You then have a front driveshaft that connects the transfer case to the front differential. Then, on each side of the differential you have half shafts (commonly referred to as CVs) that provide power to each front tire.

Broken CVs are common. YOU DO NOT WANT STRONGER CVs!!!! They're cheap and easy to replace. If you strengthen the CVs, you'll break the next weekest link; the differential.

With my previous vehicles I used to carry around a spare CV. Though they were much easier to replace than the XK since they were bolted to the diff.

I think the SM calls the shaft from TC to the front diff the propeller. Then the half shafts\CV shafts from the front diff to the tires. I'm a little confused by
    half shaft spins @ the cv joint from the tc to the cv joint
    this as well. But also keep in mind that the TC operates at a 48\52 split in 4HI and will lock the diff in 4HI if wheel slip is detected. So why does it not move in 4HI but does in 4LO not sure myself we'll just have to wait and see when he can move around again and take a look.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Yes the front driveshaft is referred to as a propeller shaft. To make it even more confusing, I believe our front driveshaft uses a CV joint where it connects to the Tcase. CV = Continuous Velocity. Our front half shafts are made of two CV joints.

So he may be talking about the CV joint on the driveshaft... or so I thought so until he said "left side of the vehicle".

ya lots of parts to break that's what it means to me LOL I try real hard not to land a spinning tire.

Senior Member Getting Dirty Adondo's Avatar
    The front end is IFS. (Independent Front Suspension) That means half shafts. The front axle housing is ''short'' with the axle ends angling up and down as needed. You have a set of CV (Constant Velocity) joints in each side. They're basically ball bearings in a set of disks with machined slots. the balls ride in the slots, so the joint can angle itself. They're better than Universal joints, which vibrate bad above a certain angle.

So... you have the differential, the half shafts ending at a CV joint. The outer shaft connects to that and goes to a second CV at the wheel hub. That keeps the wheels vertical when bouncing up and down.

Either a CV joint failed, or you tore out a spline at the wheel hub. You said there was noise at the wheel itself, but it could be telegraphed from something farther in. It needs to come apart to see what failed before any parts ordering gets done.

On edit:

This is one good reason to leave the ESP system on. The computer will keep the torque levels down since it drives by wire. Turning it all off allows high RPM and too much spin, and that's when things break.
    2006, 4.7L, QTII, Toyo Wild Country M/T 265/70R17 tires, Ultrasport 175 wheels, Rocky Road 2.25'' lift kit, HID off-road lighting, Surco 50x60 roof rack, Foxwing awning, Superchips performance programming.

Thanks for the info guys.
    The brake as far as I can see is on the passenger side CV joint. the shaft on the diff side is spinning but the shaft on the wheel side of the joint is not spinning so that joint is blown. I was just worried that I did something to the TC because it would not go anywhere while in 4 hi but it would go forward in 4 lo. Adondo you provided that answer, and that explains why the shop was not able to drive it with front drive shaft removed. They were trying to isolate out the front diff on an issue I was having before I went wheeling.

I also had it in 4 lo when I broke it. Being in 4 lo it automatically turns off the ESP, I do agree about leaving it on while doing wheeling. I make sure to leave on during driving in snow.

So I will have to replace the half shaft, so answer me this; that the heck is the difference between these ones other then price and different makers?

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/co...xlK0Fzc2VtYmx5

I did see that the more expensive is a reman & holds a 3 year & 36k warranty, while the cheapest was new. It also looks that the reman was also the ones that they provide half shafts to Napa or at least warranty them.

Your take guys?

I do thank all imput in this & now do plan on carrying a spare for each side when wheelin now.
    Last edited by pjmjr508; 06-15-2011 at 05:15 PM. Reason: fix the link
    PJMJR508
    (Happy Jeep)

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information