Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: will go forward in 4 lo, but will not go in 4 hi

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty pjmjr508's Avatar
    Thanks lol

Well just got the half shaft replacement done and it was a real pain in my a**

Using only hand tools on jack stands.
    Had to disco the sway bar link
    strut fork
    upper ball joint
    tierod end
    remove the caliper

With all that it took me 2 days (6 to 7 hours) (part of the reason for so long have been on oxycondone from foot surgery.
    The snap ring holding the inner cv axle to the diff was a big pain. I ended up having my next door neighborer come over with his cub tractor with a 3k winch on the front. Had to wrap a strap around the cv housing then slowly winched until the snap ring popped. Yes I said a tractor. I will throw up a pic soon.

I don't want to do that again so I am re thinking about upgrading those to be stronger to prevent these from breaking. So here is my question; if I put a stronger part there wht is the next weak link to break?
    Last edited by pjmjr508; 06-19-2011 at 07:20 PM. Reason: add info
    PJMJR508
    (Happy Jeep)

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    The diff.

You'd be better off just paying someone to replace the CV as opposed to paying to upgrade the CVs and then paying someone to fix/replace the diff.

Two things help in removing the CV. First... a really long pry bar to get the leverage needed. Second, and you try to pop it out with the pry bar you keep rotating it to find the position where the snap ring drops into the axle and makes it easier to remove.

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    Hmmm... those CV's pop right out. You shouldn't have needed a tractor to do it. lol
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

I know I have done several cv joint replacements over the years but this was a royal pain. It would not pop the c clip and release the inside joint.
    PJMJR508
    (Happy Jeep)

Ok I know it has been awhile since I have come back to this thread & to close it out with a final report of all that happened to the jeep from this weekend trip in damage;

Passenger side half shaft broken
    2 bent rims (Passenger Side)
    Dented in rear passenger
    Mud everywhere inside & out & the leather is stained from the mud.

I will post a pic of the door as well- It got bent when trying to change out the tire while on the trail from the HI-Lift Jack connected to the 4x sliders.

Maybe you guys can give me your views on this;
    About the 2 bent rims, they are the stock chrome clad 17s from the limited/Overland Editions & my question is this
    Replace them or attempt to get them fixed?
    PJMJR508
    (Happy Jeep)

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    Do some searching around craigs list ebay and other 4x4 forums for some new used wheels. I think it may even be cost effective to purchase new aftermarket wheels (if you don't go crazy) then to worry about those clad wheels which are a pain to balance anyway aren't they.

Quote Originally Posted by Sal-XK View Post
    Do some searching around craigs list ebay and other 4x4 forums for some new used wheels. I think it may even be cost effective to purchase new aftermarket wheels (if you don't go crazy) then to worry about those clad wheels which are a pain to balance anyway aren't they.
    I agree with this, just if I go to replace all my rims then I will want ones where I don't have to continue using spacers & that limits my choices & don't really have the money for that.

if I remember right it will need -.25mm offset for the rimes to go without spacers right?
    PJMJR508
    (Happy Jeep)

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pjmjr508 View Post
    if I remember right it will need -.25mm offset for the rimes to go without spacers right?
    Ya know I've read the answer to this a dozen times but can't remember what it is I thought it was +12 but wait for one of the wheel experts to log on.

I have read it quite a few times as well, just can't remember as well so hopefully one of them will give me the correct info.
    PJMJR508
    (Happy Jeep)

If it is the exhaust headers making the ticking, that should be covered by extended warranty, right ? Just wish someone made full headers for the XK & I would just swapp out for that instead.
    PJMJR508
    (Happy Jeep)

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread Information