Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Ultimate Jeep Summit 2012 / MOAB UT / May 14 -17, 2012 (pre-event thread)

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Reservations to date:

Knappster
    Adondo
    TrialByFire
    pjmjr508
    strokeZ
    HueyPilotVN

Anyone else?
    2006 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi
    Dark Khaki, QDII, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Steel Armadillo front bumper with Warn PowerPlant winch, Steel Armadillo rear bumper w/ tire carrier, Rock Sliders, Light Bar & Front Fender Tube Fenders, 4xGuard belly skid plate & rear differential guard, BFG M/T A/T 255/75R17s on Rubicon rims, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, Rhino Rack Pioneer Tray with FoxWing Awning, Superchips VIVID Programmer, Air Flow snorkel, Steel Armadillo Secure Console, Cobra CB Radio, Lock Pick Video Programmer, ASFIR Skid Plates.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

AKA: the Owner of The Steel Armadillo L.L.C.

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    Didn't StorkeZ trade in his XK?
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    I have put off picking trails until now and it is time to put the planning in full gear and get this thing rolling.

We will plan rides for Monday thru Thursday but keep enough time free for personal trips and the awards dinner

So far I see what looks like two good trail rides and I would love to hear from those who have been or thought about going before.

Trails that look interesting so far are: Hurrah Pass combined with Chicken Corners & Gemini Bridge combined with Bull Canyon. Any comments or suggestions?

Hurrah Pass
    San Juan County, Utah
    View this on the Utah Trailheads Map

Nearby Towns: Moab
    Nearby Trails: Kane Creek Canyon, Chicken Corners, Lockhart Basin, Jackson Hole
    Season: Year Round
    Trail Length: 5.4 miles
    Elevation: 3,996 to 4,791 feet

This trail is very easy and extremely scenic. It is primarily a dirt road that goes over a fairly low pass.

It starts on Kane Creek Road and you follow signs to Hurrah Pass (stay on the main road). The views get more and more spectacular as you get closer to the pass and you can see further into the valley. Though it is windy the pass at the top would be a great place to stop for lunch.

At the top of the pass you can see the other valley. The decent to the bottom is steep but doable in any vehicle.

At the bottom, the trail levels out and you'll see a sign for the Base Camp Adventure Lodge. Turn right here to start the Jackson Hole trail or continue straight to the Chicken Corners trail.

Information last updated on June 6th, 2008.

Chicken Corners
    San Juan County, Utah

Nearby Trails: Hurrah Pass, Lockhart Basin, Jackson Hole
    Trail Length: 13.94 miles
    Elevation: 3,946 to 4,488 feet

This is not a difficult trail but it has some amazing views and a short but intimidating hike on a ledge at the end that is optional. There are awesome views of the Colorado River and the end of this trail would be a great place to stop for lunch.

You must do Hurrah Pass or Lockhart Basin to get to Chicken Corners. It starts at the intersection of Hurrah Pass and Jackson Hole, and it is not very long (it takes two hours or so to run out, do the hike, and come back). It starts as an easy trail, much like Hurrah Pass. There are some bumpy parts as well as some sandy parts that are fun with some speed.

The only mildly challenging part is right before the end of the trail where you are forced to be fairly close to the edge of a cliff for a brief moment. It opens up again and you find yourself at a turnaround at the end of the driveable trail.

From here you can walk on foot along the true Chicken Corner. It is a very narrow foot path on a cliff and is not for people afraid of heights. Once you get around the cliff you are at a wide open spot. This hike is not very long.

Across the river from the end of the trail is Dead Horse Point Overlook. This is where they shot the final scene from the movie "Thelma And Louise" where they drove their convertible off the edge of a cliff.

Information last updated on June 6th, 2008.

Gemini Bridges
    Grand County, Utah

Nearby Trails: Bull Canyon, Gold Bar Rim, Metal Masher, Little Canyon, Arths Pasture, Four Arches Canyon
    Trail Length: 13 miles
    Elevation: 4,566 to 5,963 feet

This is a fairly easy but very scenic drive between Highway 191 and Highway 313. It can be run in either direction, with plenty of room for passing other vehicles. In the middle there is a parking area where you can take a short walk to see the Gemini Bridges, two natural bridges that parallel each other. You can walk on the bridges but you can no longer drive near or on them. This trail takes you to the top of the bridges while the Bull Canyon trail takes you to the bottom of them.

If you start from Highway 191 there is a large parking area at the start. It can be a dusty drive at the start as you run parallel to the highway going south. Then the trail takes you up the side of the mesa and over to the other side. Be sure to watch for bicycles and oncoming traffic.

Once you are down in the valley the trail is bumpy in places but easy. Watch for Gooney Bird Rock, a tall rock with a bird's face. It's good luck to drive over his toes and you'll see black marks from all of the tires that have gone over it in the past.

The first major intersection you come to is an important one. To stay on Gemini Bridges turn right and go uphill on a hill of challenging rocks. If you turn left it is the start of the Gold Bar Rim trail and the way to Little Canyon and Rusty Nail.

Once you get to the top of the hill be sure to stay on the main road and do not turn left at the next intersection. This is the trailhead for Bull Canyon, a good trail to combine with Gemini Bridges. If you wish to run Bull Canyon you will come back out to this intersection when you are finished.

Soon after the Bull Canyon trailhead is the turn to go to the Metal Masher trail. Stay to the left on the main road to continue on Gemini Bridges.

Continuing on Gemini Bridges, be sure to take the brief spur that leaves to the left of the trail. This is the way to see the Gemini Bridges themselves. There is a lot of parking and informational signs. The walk is under half of a mile and fairly easy. You can walk right out and over the bridges.

The views from the higher points are worth the hike. There is a plaque near the bridges remembering Beau James Daley who died when he accidentally drove his 4x4 off of one of the side.

When you are finished taking pictures and exploring, head back out to the main road and continue west. The next intersection is for the Four Arches Canyon trail. Continue straight and a bit to the right to stay on Gemini Bridges.

Just after that intersection is another intersection for Arths Pasture. This is a fun way out if you want more of a challenge. It is also the way to the end of the Metal Masher trail.

Stay on the Gemini Bridges trail for an easy and scenic way out to Highway 313.

Information last updated on May 18th, 2011.

Bull Canyon
    Grand County, Utah

Nearby Trails: Gemini Bridges, Gold Bar Rim, Metal Masher, Little Canyon, Arths Pasture, Four Arches Canyon
    Trail Length: 6.4 miles
    Elevation: 4,589 to 5,096 feet

Recommended by Sean H.

Note that you can no longer play on the sand hills as they have been permanently closed.

This is a fun and scenic trail with a great view of the Gemini Bridges from below. If you combine it with the Gemini Bridges trail you can see the natural bridges from both the top and the bottom.

The trail is fairly easy up to the parking area to walk to the base of the Gemini Bridges. There are a few bumpy areas and a few sections of smooth sand but nothing too challenging. The southwest end of the Little Canyon trail comes in from the east just a short way from the Bull Canyon trailhead.

There is one switchback on the way to the parking area. A short trail leaves from this switchback that takes you out to a nice overlook. Look just across the tight canyon for Bullday Bridge and Potty Bridge.

After the switchback look for Sunlight Arch and Rift Arch to the right of the trail as you work your way to the parking area. The parking area is well marked. It is a short walk following the old 4x4 trail to get to the base of the Gemini Bridges.

There is a trail near the parking area that is marked as a dead end. It continues into the canyon and has some nice scenery to offer. The trail is a bit more challenging on this end as well.

The end of the trail follows the canyon and comes to a "Y" in the trail. If you take the right side of the "Y" you will stay high in the canyon and it eventually comes to a wide turn around spot. You should turn around here unless you are on an ATV or dirtbike as the trail soon ends at a rock slide (you can see the end from the turn around spot). This would be a great place for a scenic and secluded lunch.

Return to the "Y" and take the other fork and you work your way down into the canyon and back up the other side to an unnamed mine. There is plenty of room for quite a few vehicles at the mine and it would also be a good spot for lunch. Look for Skyward Arch above the mine.

Note that some ATVs have made their own trail in order to continue along the canyon floor. This trail has been closed and you should not follow the illegal bypass around the trail closure.

Return the way you came.

Information last updated on May 18th, 2011.
    Last edited by Knappster; 04-28-2012 at 10:45 AM.
    Dark Khaki, QDII, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Steel Armadillo front bumper with Warn PowerPlant winch, Steel Armadillo rear bumper w/ tire carrier, Rock Sliders, Light Bar & Front Fender Tube Fenders, 4xGuard belly skid plate & rear differential guard, BFG M/T A/T 255/75R17s on Rubicon rims, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, Rhino Rack Pioneer Tray with FoxWing Awning, Superchips VIVID Programmer, Air Flow snorkel, Steel Armadillo Secure Console, Cobra CB Radio, Lock Pick Video Programmer, ASFIR Skid Plates.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty TrialByFire's Avatar
    Those trails should be fine for stock XKs. Bull Canyon has a few boulders in the streambed that may give skids a kiss or two.

From the list it looks like everyone has at least a 2-1/2" lift and QTII or better. That opens the list up to moderate trails like:

* Metal Masher (optional hard obstacles).
    * Sevemmile Rim (scenic w/nice obstacles)
    * Fins & Things (mega classic)

For the harder trails, you might include:

* Elephant Hill (this classic is an all-day outing since it's 40 miles south of Moab).
    * Hells Revenge (steep but reasonable)
    * Poison Spider Mesa (another classic)
    * Kane's Creek (water crossings galore)

All these should be well within the capabilities of this group. Any body damage should be limited to the underside (skids/ fuel tank, etc.) and winching probably not necessary.
    One thing to expect is that many of the trails have very steep (but smooth) sections. You will get used to looking out the windshield and seeing only sky! Fortunately, our XKs climb like goats!
    '06 XK Limited, 5.7 Hemi, QDII, OME struts & HD springs, JBA UCAs, 285/70R17 BFG KM2, 4XGuard Sliders, 4XGuard Diff Guard, Fox 2.0 reservoir shocks, custom bumpers and Warn xi9000
    Wish list: SFA, in-dash Windows 8 PC
    http://www.fuelly.com/driver/Blade/commander

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty pjmjr508's Avatar
    not happy but I will have to cancel out. The due date for our daughter to be born is first week of June & the timing is not going to work. With our sons delivery my wife was good all the way to the day she gave birth, this time she is having some issues so I can not be 2 states away with the DD being so close. So I will be calling in to cancel my res for a cabin, before I do that if anyone wants it let me know & I will see if I can transfer the res to you.

Now with all that being said, next year the kids should be old enough to go to CO for next years event.
    PJMJR508
    (Happy Jeep)

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    This sounds like so much fun! I've been searching for away to make this trip but my youngest doesn't get out of school till June which I would of pulled him early but my daughter has bench mark tests on the 17th of May and she can't miss that either.

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pjmjr508 View Post
    not happy but I will have to cancel out.
    Sorry to hear, Looks like a really small group this year but we will still have fun. Hope to see you and the family in Silverton next year.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 07JeepXK View Post
    Didn't StorkeZ trade in his XK?
    He did, I hope he is coming anyway... We are open to all model of Jeeps

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

Senior Member Getting Dirty stites-xk's Avatar
    That's like 5 to 6 hrs from me. I plan on going next year

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Lifetime Member Looking for Dirt
    Hey pjmjr508

I would be very interested in taking your cabin of your hands how much per night?
    I would be coming by my self, kids will still be in school.
    2006 XK LIMITED
    HEMI QD2 RR 2 1/2 inch lift BFG 265X70X17 TA
    4XGAURD belly plate, trans skid plate and rock rails
    Mopar engine skid plate Spider track spacers
    Custom made CAI and MBPRI cat back
    Hypertec Tuner

Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread Information