Thread: ABS, ESP/BAS, Service 4WD - jeep stops on its own

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Junior Member Looking for Dirt CrunchyWizard's Avatar

Unhappy ABS, ESP/BAS, Service 4WD - jeep stops on its own

Hi guys,

As I was driving around this evening, looking for a place that would take a screw out of one of my BFG MTs, my jeep started hesitating (as I pulled out of a Belle Tire after I didn't want to wait 90 minutes for them to remove the screw). It just balked as I turned right - sounded like ABS kicked in and the traction-control light came on and then went off as the car started responding normally. I was making a normal right turn, not stepping on the gas much at all.

A little while down the road all of the lights came on - traction ctl, ABS, ESP/BAS and the "Service 4WD System" came up in the display. As I contemplated this new situation, I was traveling at about 25 MPH around a slight right curve when the jeep's ABS sounded like it kicked in and brought the jeep to a fairly quick - and complete - stop. It wasn't like I was standing on the brakes, but it was close... Happily, no one was behind me. After a second or two, the brakes released and I was able to proceed down the road.

I pulled into the nearest parking lot and turned the car off, waited a few seconds and turned it back on - the lights stayed off for a couple minutes and then came back on.

I made it the few miles back home with no further incidents, although it did sound like the ABS was kicking in slightly on sharp turns - it didn't stop me again.

I figure I need to get it into the dealership in the morning, but am anxious to hear if anyone else has had a similar experience before the dealership tries to tell me that I need to replace the entire drive train. I recall reading about the lights and message before, but don't recall anyone saying that the jeep just stopped itself.

Help?

Edit to add: I tried retrieving the DTC codes and just got a 'Done,' which means it's not throwing a code, right? Why is everything lighting up without the system being able to say why?

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over?
    Last edited by CrunchyWizard; 05-31-2011 at 05:32 PM.
    2006 Jeep Commander Sport 4.7 4x4 QT-II
    BFG Mud-Terrain T/A KM LT255/75R17 - 2" Rough Country Lift - 1.5" Spidertrax spacers - Get Lost 4x4 Front Bumper - Heavy Duty MOPAR Receiver - WeatherTech Mats

Thread Information