Thread: Pinch Weld

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    I'm running that size stock wheels no spacers. If the tire clears the knuckle no matter by how little it will work. The relationship between the tire and the knuckle bolt never changes no matter what. So if it clears by 1/100 of an inch in the air it will clear by that no matter what. I hope I'm making sense who knows haven't slept much so...

Senior Member Getting Dirty CmmdrDan's Avatar
    Yea I understand that about the bolt. Hmm I guess Ill test it with the spacers on.. if not then ill pull them off. They are used BFG all terrains So they arent going to be 100% tread(maybe around 85%) so that will help also..

I'm running MT's and had no issues from new so I'm willing to bet those will fit with out spacers. Just remember that tires that will fit with no rub may rub once spacers are put on.

Senior Member Getting Dirty CmmdrDan's Avatar
    Well I shouldn't have to worry now. I have the spacers on and the pinch weld done. Now I just need the tires. I dont think I'll have them before my trail run this weekend but thats ok.

I have the same tires, and I still do rub at full lock nomatter what... I guess it's because of the nose dive-in. I think if I level it with the rear height it would be fixed, but thinking about when I load the truck, it would look like carrying an elephant on the rear and the nose up...
    BTW, I also had to hammer/trim the pinch weld because it made a small cut in one of the tread wedges.

I have trimed the front bumper as Sal did, and when driving on reverse at full lock still rubs somewhere, I will have to take a better look at that...

p.s. tried to upload pic but didn't work either on IE nor Chrome...
    Red, QT1, 3.7ltr, 2" Daystar lift, 1.5' Spidertrax wheel spacers, 265/70/R17 retreads, rear grab handles, front susp. skid plate, front bumper trimmed (thx to Sal's idea)
    Old pics and vids (before trimming): http://www.flickr.com/photos/israselene/

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    With my 265/70 MT/Rs, I would have had crazy rubbing every where without doing the pinch weld mod and wheel spacers. I would have never cleared the UCA bolt and id have to drive in a straight line even if it did clear it.
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty IamJEEP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by israelintothewild View Post
    I have the same tires, and I still do rub at full lock nomatter what... I guess it's because of the nose dive-in. I think if I level it with the rear height it would be fixed, but thinking about when I load the truck, it would look like carrying an elephant on the rear and the nose up...
    BTW, I also had to hammer/trim the pinch weld because it made a small cut in one of the tread wedges.

I have trimed the front bumper as Sal did, and when driving on reverse at full lock still rubs somewhere, I will have to take a better look at that...

p.s. tried to upload pic but didn't work either on IE nor Chrome...
    In your signiture you state that you are running re-treads.....Maybe this is why you are rubbing so bad. I have 265/70 Nittos and only slightly rub in reverse (while turning) and do not have the pinch weld modded.
    ****Uwharrie Aprroved****
    2006 Commander Sport- 3.7L- 4X4*Inferno Red Crystal Pearl*Rocky Road 2.25" lift *"Limited" Color-Matched Rear Grab Handles*Mopar Hitch/Harness*4xGaurd Matrix w/Fogs*Rear Bumper Lights*Tinted Front Side Markers*MHT Fuel Hostage 17x8.5 +14ET*Nitto Terra Graplers 265/70/17*
    --------->My Garage<------------------

RAGE ROOF RACK MEMBER #2
    Quote Originally Posted by AJeepZJ View Post
    Then I drove her hard for about 45 mins.

Check the FAQ section for help on posting picture I would link it but I'm on my phone.

Thread Information