Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pinch Weld

Senior Member Getting Dirty CmmdrDan's Avatar

Pinch Weld

Well I am getting my new tires next weekend and I have a issue. I don't have the spacers yet. Buying them from a buddy next weekend. He lives about 150 miles away, and I am going to his place to wheel next weekend. My dad would flip if I started to saw-all my pinch weld in the driveway so I am also going to do that at my friends house. So what I am asking is if anyone has driven 265/70's without the pinch weld done? Thanks guys!

Also would it make contact with the bolt?

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    You can do it, just do not make sharp turns (going straight is not a problem).
    2006 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi
    Dark Khaki, QDII, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Steel Armadillo front bumper with Warn PowerPlant winch, Steel Armadillo rear bumper w/ tire carrier, Rock Sliders, Light Bar & Front Fender Tube Fenders, 4xGuard belly skid plate & rear differential guard, BFG M/T A/T 255/75R17s on Rubicon rims, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, Rhino Rack Pioneer Tray with FoxWing Awning, Superchips VIVID Programmer, Air Flow snorkel, Steel Armadillo Secure Console, Cobra CB Radio, Lock Pick Video Programmer, ASFIR Skid Plates.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

AKA: the Owner of The Steel Armadillo L.L.C.

Im more worried about the bolt now..I PMed Discount Tire and he is gonna see if he can find out.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    I run that size with no issues except full lock you should be good.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Tymac's Avatar
    The pinch weld and lack of spacers are 2 different issues. Stock wheels with larger tires will have a clearance issue with the upper ball joint stud. The pinch weld isn't nearly as important. Unless I read what he said wrong. Which has been known to happen.

Well I am picking up spacers tonight from a friend. So I will have the clearance from the bolt but now the pinch weld will be my problem. So I will have to get that done before next weekend.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Tymac's Avatar
    I thought you were getting the spacers from him after you put your tires on. Then it would be an issue. I run the 265's and have so little rubbing I never bothered to rework the pinch welds.

I'm running that size stock wheels no spacers. If the tire clears the knuckle no matter by how little it will work. The relationship between the tire and the knuckle bolt never changes no matter what. So if it clears by 1/100 of an inch in the air it will clear by that no matter what. I hope I'm making sense who knows haven't slept much so...

Yea I understand that about the bolt. Hmm I guess Ill test it with the spacers on.. if not then ill pull them off. They are used BFG all terrains So they arent going to be 100% tread(maybe around 85%) so that will help also..

I'm running MT's and had no issues from new so I'm willing to bet those will fit with out spacers. Just remember that tires that will fit with no rub may rub once spacers are put on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information