Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I got stuck LOL

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty pjmjr508's Avatar
    had the same issue @ pismo beach in ca.
    PJMJR508
    (Happy Jeep)

Senior Member Getting Dirty CmmdrDan's Avatar
    Was this OBX? I cant wait to get down there in July!

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CmmdrDan View Post
    Was this OBX? I cant wait to get down there in July!
    No it's freeman park at Carolina beach NC

Senior Member Getting Dirty Adondo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal-XK View Post
    The guy who yanked us all out was a pro for sure. He pulled forward and backed up several times packing the sand down. He never spun enough to dig in like I did LOL he just took his time got a good run and yanked me out in one pull and the other black jeep in one pull.
    The sand won't pack down... that's the problem with sand. Wet sand will hold together better, but still doesn't really pack down. It "gives" too easy, and when you spin a tire, it digs a hole because it gives way. That's why you drive as if you have an egg on the gas pedal, and are afraid of breaking it while in sand.

The idea, (and what the pro did) was to use a dynamic (Stretching type) "snatch strap." Rather than spin a tire and dig his own hole pulling against dead weight, he stays on top of the sand and uses momentum to yank the stuck rig out. Sometimes it takes a couple of yanks to get the job done.

When you carry recovery gear, you really need two straps... a dynamic type and static type. The static (non-stretch) can/should be used as a tow strap, the other for pulling people out.

The other way to get out (if you're alone) is to put the rig back on top and make attempt #2 to get loose. An X-Jack is perfect for this. Lift the rig with the X-Jack, fill in the holes, and get it back on top of the sand. Digging for hours and making ramps back to the surface may or may not work, and it's a waste of time. And... mainly because the undercarriage is against the sand, making too much drag.
    2006, 4.7L, QTII, Toyo Wild Country M/T 265/70R17 tires, Ultrasport 175 wheels, Rocky Road 2.25'' lift kit, HID off-road lighting, Surco 50x60 roof rack, Foxwing awning, Superchips performance programming.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information