Let me see if I can shed some light on your thoughts here Caleb. You're basically looking for personal protection which as stated would put you with in 20' or so. Now ammo has little effect on accuracy at that range or I should say no effect at that range. When you start stepping out to 100+ meters then ammo is a concern but not with a hang gun obviously. The biggest factor in accuracy is the shooter of the weapon the second would be make model design quality of the firearm. Now at 20' or less I would say you probably can't shoot well enough to take advantage of a very expensive weapon. For personal defense stopping power needs to be a concern with reliability. You need to be able to get 3-4 shots of quickly and with general accuracy. For outstanding accuracy just get a revolver with a 6" barrel and blow the semiautomatics out of the water. Of course revolvers aren't cool there just effective so you'll probably go semiautomatic so I would look for reliability and capacity and stopping power. At close range big bullets moving slowly put people down with one shot not the smaller ones with some ridiculous FPS rating that burns threw people so they don't even feel it, trust me on this ones the delay from getting shot by these types of rounds and going down is long enough to have someone throw some rounds back at you. So pretty much it doesn't matter get a cheap one that holds big bullets and you'll be fine. Ruger makes good cheap reliable weapons there not flashy they just get the job done.