Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Springfield Armory

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Tymac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IamJEEP View Post
    Im stuck in my choice between a .40 & .45 cal. Do either one of those have a better accuracy than the other?
    Personally I prefer the 10mm over the .40, but the .45 is my favorite.

For Christmas I bought my wife a Beretta PX4 Storm Compact, not mini compact in 9mm. She received her CCW in November.

I see the XD's in .45 at every show I go to and they're all priced between $450-$600 depending if they were new or used. I'm kinda old school, but I still carry my dad's Browning Hi-Power.

Senior Member Getting Dirty hoaxci5's Avatar
    When we were shopping for our first pistol (my wife enjoys shooting too) we went to the range and rented.. Turned out we both liked the feel of the XD best of the couple choices we had. So we rented one and shot for the day and left with a new one. I'd recommend doing the same if possible. Renting is usually only about $10 per pistol, and then you will know for sure if you like the way it handles or not. I personally feel that a service size pistol (in my case xd9 with 4" barrel) is too large to comfortably conceal. Can I do it? Sure, but not with my typical shorts and t-shirt attire. Just another thing to keep in mind.

Great suggestion. When purchasing a weapon, holster or accesories always wear the clothes you'd typically have on when you plan to carry. It's make for a better purchase.

7 months of the year I'm in shorts and tshirt the rest of the time is a fleece pull over and jeans.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty IamJEEP's Avatar
    So i can get away with a ccw in sub-compact or compact in .45?

I plan on eventually getting a full size for home defence and a shotgun as well. I will probably also get a .22 for the range and sport shooting.

Trying to gather as much info as possible before i do anything. I am also researching some classes that my girl can take with me and also the ccw classes.

Feel free to school me more on this subject, i appritiate everyones input and assistance.
    ****Uwharrie Aprroved****
    2006 Commander Sport- 3.7L- 4X4*Inferno Red Crystal Pearl*Rocky Road 2.25" lift *"Limited" Color-Matched Rear Grab Handles*Mopar Hitch/Harness*4xGaurd Matrix w/Fogs*Rear Bumper Lights*Tinted Front Side Markers*MHT Fuel Hostage 17x8.5 +14ET*Nitto Terra Graplers 265/70/17*
    --------->My Garage<------------------

RAGE ROOF RACK MEMBER #2
    Quote Originally Posted by AJeepZJ View Post
    Then I drove her hard for about 45 mins.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    I would go compact comfort is important. I don't know how many times I got sick of having a Beretta strapped to my leg wishing I could just throw it away LOL I hated carrying it and took it off when ever the opportunity arose. But then again carrying it 24\7 for 15 months could of been the problem. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Sal-XK View Post
    I would go compact comfort is important. I don't know how many times I got sick of having a Beretta strapped to my leg wishing I could just throw it away LOL I hated carrying it and took it off when ever the opportunity arose. But then again carrying it 24\7 for 15 months could of been the problem. LOL
    Yes, comfort is important to me as others have said, i will be in summer clothes all year round.

I like the glock because of it's trigger safety and ease of use. The XD also has the same thing now i believe and is a reloliable model.

What else should i consider(brands)? I have small hands so gotta keep tjat in mind.

I will be hitting the local ranges and renting different models to see what i feel is comfortable for me and the old lady, as others have recomended.
    2006 Commander Sport- 3.7L- 4X4*Inferno Red Crystal Pearl*Rocky Road 2.25" lift *"Limited" Color-Matched Rear Grab Handles*Mopar Hitch/Harness*4xGaurd Matrix w/Fogs*Rear Bumper Lights*Tinted Front Side Markers*MHT Fuel Hostage 17x8.5 +14ET*Nitto Terra Graplers 265/70/17*

RAGE ROOF RACK MEMBER #2

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    That's all you have to do is hit the range find what you're comfortable with. I would guess any brand model will fit your needs and skill level. It's protection not a shooting competition shooting so keep that in mind. If it can get threw one clip without jamming up I think it will get the job done.

Get down to a gun store and start picking up models. You really need to find something that fits well. Especially considering you said you have small hands. My wife has small hands and the compact Storm is a bit thick in the grip for good control. She handles it well, but a bit narrower would help. I changed the back strap and it helped a bit but still not great.

Sub compacts basically are just shorter in the grip. Meaning they hold a few rounds less.

I like watching the reviews of guns on youtube. Some are good, but most are just for entertainment.

I signed up for gunbroker.com and found they have very good information.

That's all you have to do is hit the range find what you're comfortable with. I would guess any brand model will fit your needs and skill level. It's protection not a shooting competition shooting so keep that in mind. If it can get threw one clip without jamming up I think it will get the job done.
    Gotcha, grassy ass.

I also would like a bolt action, but thats a whole other thread. LOL.....
    Last edited by IamJEEP; 06-13-2011 at 08:40 AM.

RAGE ROOF RACK MEMBER #2

If it can get threw one clip without jamming up I think it will get the job done.
    That's the way it was when I first got into pistols. Now I like my guns to hot cycle a couple hundred rounds without issues. You know, just in case I have a small invasion in my city.

I have a few really nice bolts we bought in the 70's. Depends on what you like and if you plan to reload your own brass. Just for fun I really like my Ruger 10-77 (bolt .22) and my 10-22 (semi .22). 2 years ago I bought a Ruger .204 in stainless and synthetic stock. Fun to shoot woodies at 250 yds.
    Last edited by Tymac; 06-13-2011 at 08:38 AM.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information