Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Superchips Jeep Commander Flashpaq Programmer #3875

Senior Member Getting Dirty The_War_Wagon's Avatar

Lightbulb

You guys are gonna talk me into trying that 91 octane setting eventually. Maybe it'll beat driving around town in 25mph zones in 4th... Name:  smiley-ashamed005.gif
Views: 121
Size:  6.4 KB
    '07 Jeep Commander, Rocky Mountain Edition - 287 V-8 - Superchipped - aFe Stage II R-5A CAI - Flowmaster Super 44 - 2" Daystar lift - Spidertrax spacers - 32x10.5x17 Cooper A/T's - Fastman throttlebody - Skyjacker 8000 shocks

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    I was not impressed at all with the 91 tune on mine. Got worse gas mileage and performance was negligible. I did some long term testing for all tuning levels and am back at the stock tune modified for tire size & TPMS delete. This is going to vary greatly by engine though.... I think mine is a case of the 5.7L factory tuned for 89octane and therefore don't notice a big gain going to 91 tuning, and the 87 performance tune just didn't feel right for the engine. The only thing the tunes did help with was some throttle delay.... but its not enough to bother me in this vehicle, I'm not gunning it at lights and the 5.7 has enough power to get me moving when pulling into traffic even with a bit of torque management (throttle delay).

I also wonder if some of the mpg gains people are noticing are due to tire size adjustments. Some may not be accounting for the mileage difference of having larger tires than the speedo is calibrated for so their mpg reading is low until corrected. And others may be putting 32" for their tire size when the effective tire diameter is actually 30.5"- so their computer thinks they're driving further than they actually are which shows better mpg than actual.

Not saying that's the case for everyone.... but just food for thought.

Edit: Not discouraging people from tuners here. I recommend them for the obvious benefits for correcting tire size so the speedometer is accurate and the trans shifts correctly (which btw probably does help a bit with mpg.... but not +3). And any performance gains you get are an added benefit IMO.
    Last edited by Matt; 06-20-2012 at 06:34 AM.

Member Looking for Dirt redrockv8's Avatar
    I just can't decide if I want to spend the money on this or not. I have a 2007 4.7l. Is this device specific to my vehicle? Can I use it on my 1996 Cherokee Sport 4.0l? I would like to turn off the TPMS on my Commander. Will this device be useless if I sell my COmmander? (heaven forbid that should happen). Who is using it on their 4.7 and do you think It's worth the cash? What else will it do that might tempt me to buy it?
    If I were to use the 91 octane setting do I have to run 91-93 octane in my tank or can I still use 87 octane? I've never even heard of such a device until a few days ago so I'm basically in the dark as to it's capabilities. I picture me bricking my Jeep by changing a setting and then it won't start. Could this happen?
    HT
    Last edited by redrockv8; 07-18-2012 at 01:57 PM.

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by redrockv8 View Post
    I just can't decide if I want to spend the money on this or not. I have a 2007 4.7l. Is this device specific to my vehicle? Can I use it on my 1996 Cherokee Sport 4.0l? I would like to turn off the TPMS on my Commander. Will this device be useless if I sell my COmmander? (heaven forbid that should happen). Who is using it on their 4.7 and do you think It's worth the cash? What else will it do that might tempt me to buy it?
    If I were to use the 91 octane setting do I have to run 91-93 octane in my tank or can I still use 87 octane? I've never even heard of such a device until a few days ago so I'm basically in the dark as to it's capabilities. I picture me bricking my Jeep by changing a setting and then it won't start. Could this happen?
    HT
    I'm using it on my 4.7 Commander and love it. It helps greatly now that I'm running 33s. If you have it on the 91 tune you need to run at least 91 octane. You can't go backwards in octane. But you can tune it to 87 performance and run either 87, 89 or 91 octane. I use mine to disable the tpms, correct speedo for larger tires and the 91 tune helped greatly with the transmission shift points running the larger tires. It can be used for other model jeep. I bought mine from a friend who was using it on a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 liter. If you ever sold your jeep you could just sell the flashpaq here on the forum
    Last edited by 07JeepXK; 07-18-2012 at 02:19 PM.
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Senior Member Getting Dirty stites-xk's Avatar
    I love it. Great for larger tires. I use the 91 tune because as 07jeepXK said the transmission shifts alot better now.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Senior Member Getting Dirty The_War_Wagon's Avatar
    I actually tried the Tow tune next, and ah'll be danged if I haven't picked up about 3/4 of an mpg around town on 89 octane gas!!! I pull a LOTTA hills, in short hop, stop-n-go traffic, so it seems to be just what the doctor ordered - to help tow itself around town!
    '07 Jeep Commander, Rocky Mountain Edition - 287 V-8 - Superchipped - aFe Stage II R-5A CAI - Flowmaster Super 44 - 2" Daystar lift - Spidertrax spacers - 32x10.5x17 Cooper A/T's - Fastman throttlebody - Skyjacker 8000 shocks

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    These are some heavy SUV's... holding on to those gears a bit longer probably helps on those hills!

Senior Member Getting Dirty
    Quote Originally Posted by The_War_Wagon View Post
    I actually tried the Tow tune next, and ah'll be danged if I haven't picked up about 3/4 of an mpg around town on 89 octane gas!!! I pull a LOTTA hills, in short hop, stop-n-go traffic, so it seems to be just what the doctor ordered - to help tow itself around town!

I thought you had to run at least 91 octane when on the tow tune?

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jcoulter View Post
    I thought you had to run at least 91 octane when on the tow tune?
    I never heard that before. I think the tow tune really only changes the transmission shift points and stop it from going into over drive.
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Senior Member Getting Dirty
    I was so sure I went out and went through the motions to tune it. Sure enough it did not say anything about 91 octane. Sorry for the misinformation.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information