Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Home Grown Solutions

Senior Member Getting Dirty Adondo's Avatar

Foxwing awning mounts

I made my own mounts for the Surco roof rack. I used 3" aluminum angle. The original mounts (Supplied by Foxwing) are for other racks, and normally point up the opposite direction.

2006, 4.7L, QTII, Toyo Wild Country M/T 265/70R17 tires, Ultrasport 175 wheels, Rocky Road 2.25'' lift kit, HID off-road lighting, Surco 50x60 roof rack, Foxwing awning, Superchips performance programming.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar

Power outlet

Installed a outlet

Ok so got the panel off like most the stuff on the XK it pops off with a little force. Next I decided to use the actual outlet from the inverter it self instead of putting another one in and connecting them some how. So I had to take the inverter apart to accomplish this.

Then I figured out the wires were not long enough to reach the panel and mount the outlet so I needed to extend them and of course I'm out of wire so to the store I go.
    Extended Wiring, The blue wire you see is the wire I added. Not the best solder job but it will hold anyway.

Next I traced out the outlet on the panel and used my dremel to cut the shape out.

I screwed the outlet into the panel and mounted the inverter with velcro to the panel. This stuff is strong its actually ridiculous to try and pull apart.

Now the finished product

I ran the wires up the side of the center counsel tucking all the wires inside the counsel. I left the wires inside my dash for now it got late so I'll tie them in on the next nice day we have. It will have full time power regardless if the jeep is on or not.

Satellite antenna replacement

Add a roof rack, and your little black button of a satellite antenna will be blocked. Here's the solution.

Buy an antenna from eBay for less than $10. Trust me, they can be had for much less than the $100 everyone claims they cost.

Here's where the Satellite receiver lives. Passenger side, under the rear seat.

Unplug this yellow connector. The new antenna's sub-SMA will plug right in.

Run the tiny cable under the trim to the front door's edge.

Sneak the cable up the rubber trim and pop it out somewhere on top.

Follow the rubber trim, the cable is very small and it's easy. Update: I moved the little magnet mount antenna farther forward, the Foxwing awning blocked it from the side.
    2006, 4.7L, QTII, Toyo Wild Country M/T 265/70R17 tires, Ultrasport 175 wheels, Rocky Road 2.25'' lift kit, HID off-road lighting, Surco 50x60 roof rack, Foxwing awning, Superchips performance programming.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar

Home Grown Solutions

So to start... I made this cargo mat out of the bed mat from my pickup truck. The $80+ price tags for the rear cargo liners were just ridiculous!!

Today we took a spin with some friends to get some ice cream... and I needed to use the 3rd row (2 couples and 2 babies). Then I realized, i wanted a better way to using a 3rd row seat than just rolling the mat over like this:

So... I put a cut in it

I plan on "sealing" up the cut with a glued/sealed velcro strip to keep dirt & debri from falling in the crack.

FYI:
    You can purchase a pickup truck bed mat for UNDER $50. My bed mat was enough to make a cargo liner for my XK and my wifes KK!!! So that's two cargo mats for less than the price of one. Oh yea, custom fit btw

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty IamJEEP's Avatar

Low Profile Load Bars

I had to make some new cross rails that were lower profile (so i can park in the garage at work). I used curtain alluminum rails that we use at work. Cut them to length and test fitted them..............

Then I sprayed them with undercoating/bed liner stuff and installed them in their resting area..........

I gained 1.25"s of lower profile....with the sport bars (including the mounts) it was a total of 4"s high.......with my home-mades it came out to be 2 3/4"s high.

With the basket installed........

****Uwharrie Aprroved****
    2006 Commander Sport- 3.7L- 4X4*Inferno Red Crystal Pearl*Rocky Road 2.25" lift *"Limited" Color-Matched Rear Grab Handles*Mopar Hitch/Harness*4xGaurd Matrix w/Fogs*Rear Bumper Lights*Tinted Front Side Markers*MHT Fuel Hostage 17x8.5 +14ET*Nitto Terra Graplers 265/70/17*
    --------->My Garage<------------------

RAGE ROOF RACK MEMBER #2
    Quote Originally Posted by AJeepZJ View Post
    Then I drove her hard for about 45 mins.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty pjmjr508's Avatar
    Nice
    PJMJR508
    (Happy Jeep)

At least you weren't naked when you took the photo. (Like that infamous "eBay teapot" photo)

I like how close the basket sits to the roof.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty IamJEEP's Avatar
    Thanks guys...

Oh, you dont want to see me naked! LOL...........
    ****Uwharrie Aprroved****
    2006 Commander Sport- 3.7L- 4X4*Inferno Red Crystal Pearl*Rocky Road 2.25" lift *"Limited" Color-Matched Rear Grab Handles*Mopar Hitch/Harness*4xGaurd Matrix w/Fogs*Rear Bumper Lights*Tinted Front Side Markers*MHT Fuel Hostage 17x8.5 +14ET*Nitto Terra Graplers 265/70/17*
    --------->My Garage<------------------

RAGE ROOF RACK MEMBER #2
    Quote Originally Posted by AJeepZJ View Post
    Then I drove her hard for about 45 mins.

Senior Member Getting Dirty cico7's Avatar
    For quite a while, I wanted a plug for jumper cables instead of the usual clip here,
    clip there, and fight the cables. Here is what i did....

I bought 2 ANDERSON,50A ,CONNECTOR KITS, SB50A, 600V,BLACK, on ebay. I paid less than $8 for the pair.

I soldered the ends of the cables to the battery clamps. I didnt like that
    the wire ends were clamped on.

I put the connectors in the vices

Filled with silver solder

I used my map gas torch on these

Side View of Plate

Lifted Plate - you can see where I drilled through to run the cable.
    Routed it along side the bumper and attached to an existing harness.

Attached copper lugs to cables

Red and Black wire zip tied to wire
    Last edited by cico7; 07-04-2011 at 06:57 PM.

Senior Member Getting Dirty cico7's Avatar
    Back a ways, I added a spring loaded bracket to my front plate.

I used 2 sets of cables to do this.
    Last edited by cico7; 07-04-2011 at 06:51 PM.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information