Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Home Grown Solutions

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Nice job! i was planning on doing something similar and having a plug in the front and the rear for running a winch or an OBA compressor.

I don't see it in the pics.... you do have a fuse on the power wire right???

Senior Member Getting Dirty cico7's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt_ View Post
    Nice job! i was planning on doing something similar and having a plug in the front and the rear for running a winch or an OBA compressor.
    I don't see it in the pics.... you do have a fuse on the power wire right???
    Thanks Matt,

I have not added the fuse yet. I don't think I will. I wouldn't have a fuse on regular cables and
    I would need a pretty high amp fuse. I think if something went wrong, I would see it when
    I connected to the other battery. I wouldn't mind more input on this....

That's a straight up bad idea... lol sorry, no sugar coating that one. You basically ran a high amperage un-fused line to your front bumper. The slightest fender bender and you're going to (at least) fry the battery or (at worse) fry your entire vehicle.

I would disconnect that line until it's fused properly.

As far as using it as a jumper... you'd basically be charging the stock battery which the starter would draw from. Not sure if the fuse would blow or not.... but honestly i'd rather just pop the hood and hook up a set of jumper cables once in a blue moon as opposed to possibly ruining my vehicle if someone kicks my license plate too hard.

Senior Member Getting Dirty cico7's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt_ View Post
    That's a straight up bad idea... lol sorry, no sugar coating that one. You basically ran a high amperage un-fused line to your front bumper. The slightest fender bender and you're going to (at least) fry the battery or (at worse) fry your entire vehicle.

I would disconnect that line until it's fused properly.
    I disagree, but I am going to disconnect until I get other input.
    If I am in a fender bender, a number of things can fry the battery.
    However: there isn't the protection the battery has and if I rear
    end someone and get a spark and a leaking gas tank....
    ....I will still temporaily disconnect.....

So you're saying there's no a problem with taking a straight positive from the battery and touching it to ground?

Fires don't need to be started with gas. Get plastic (all around the front bumper) hot enough and it will ignite.

Your battery is very well protected by fuses; if you're in an accident and ANYTHING in your vehicle shorts, the fuse will pop before the battery frys or worse. Except for that one line you put in.

Edit: I dont know what the stats are... but i'd bet the majority of vehicle fires are caused by electrical issues (usually someone jumping a fuse or putting in an incorrectly fused circuit)
    Last edited by Matt; 07-04-2011 at 07:23 PM.

Senior Member Getting Dirty HueyPilotVN's Avatar
    Matt,

I can see why you are cautious, However the main positive cable from your battery is a similar setup. Unless you have a fuse or circuit breaker at the battery you will always have the risk of the "hot' cable shorting in a crash. If you look at most of the winch setups you will find that very few have an inline fuse in the primary power cable. Here is a picture of mine which uses the same type of connector as Cico.

I did install an inline key switch so that I can disable the line unless I need it. That might allay your fears about a front end collision somewhat.

2007Jeep Green Limited
    4.7 Flex Fuel, Rocky Road 2.5" Lift on front, 4 inch Superlift coils on rear, Spidertrax 1.5" Spacers, Bridgestone 265/70/17
    Chrome Nerf Side Bars, K&N CAI, Flowmaster muffler, Aluminum Diamond Plate Locking Trunk installed
    Factory Roof Pod, Blue Ox Baseplate w/D-rings, "Get Lost 4X4" Front Bumper, T-Max 9000 winch, "Get Lost rear tire carrier, 30 gal second gas tank.
    Did anyone else read the fine print in the brochure and get a $500 rebate for being a Veteran?

The main positive from the battery is a very short run to the main fuse block and won't short unless you're in a major accident that basically wipes out the engine compartment.

A key switch however is an applicable solution since it basically cuts the line off as close to the battery as possible.

Senior Member Getting Dirty HueyPilotVN's Avatar
    Here is a discussion on the subject from another forum.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/winch-fuse-97485/
    2007Jeep Green Limited
    4.7 Flex Fuel, Rocky Road 2.5" Lift on front, 4 inch Superlift coils on rear, Spidertrax 1.5" Spacers, Bridgestone 265/70/17
    Chrome Nerf Side Bars, K&N CAI, Flowmaster muffler, Aluminum Diamond Plate Locking Trunk installed
    Factory Roof Pod, Blue Ox Baseplate w/D-rings, "Get Lost 4X4" Front Bumper, T-Max 9000 winch, "Get Lost rear tire carrier, 30 gal second gas tank.
    Did anyone else read the fine print in the brochure and get a $500 rebate for being a Veteran?

Yeah... a switch would be a good idea... as long as the operator remembers to keep it off when not in use. Winch bumpers are also a slightly different application than what was posted. It would take a considerable impact to damage the wires on a winch enclosed in a big steel bumper.

A straight line run to the front center of the front bumper without some sort of fuse or switch is still a very bad idea IMO.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information