Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rock Sliders

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty XK N00b's Avatar

Rock Sliders

Is anyone running sliders on their XK? I'd like to know what you think about which ones you've got. I'm ready to pull the trigger on putting them on mine, just looking for a recommendation as to whose to go with. The 4xguard brand looks Rugged and very clean on the XK. But the Rocky Road looks lighter and easier to install, and $200 less. your thoughts?
    2008 Overland in Black
    Loaded, Leather, 5.7 Hemi QDII,
    All 3 MOPAR Skids, VEC, Tow Pkg., 2" Rough Country Lift, 1 1/4" Spidertrax spacers, 255/75/17 BFG M/T's, Flowmaster 50 series muffler

Senior Member Getting Dirty hoaxci5's Avatar
    I've got the supersliders, but I bought them used. Before stumbling across the used pair from Knappster though I had already decided I was getting them because of the price difference, and that they function as a step for roof access when the doors are closed.

I'm not sure on the install side being easier. I had them welded on because I couldn't see how I was supposed to attach them to the frame. (I didn't have instructions though either but Knappster also had them welded)

Downside to them is that they don't give you as much ground clearance as the 4xGuard sliders.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    IMO, the savings of $200 for the RR sliders is quickly dimished when you consider:

1) the 4xG increase ground clearance at the rockers by about an inch whereas you lose over an inch of ground clearance with the RR.
    2) the 4xG fit & finish looks as good as, or better than, stock.
    3) the increased sliding surface (8" wide?) will ensure that you glide over things smoothly and provides plenty of support whereas the RR look like basic square tube welded to some brackets

Ease of install is probably a wash between the two. So you may spend an hour longer on one or the other... not really decision maker to me. i'd rather spend a full day installing a quality product than 2 hours installing a lesser product.

Looks like I have some Pros & cons to weigh... So far I think I like the 4XGuard better than the others I've seen. Maybe I'll pay Doc a visit and see what he can come up with as an option.
    2008 Overland in Black
    All 3 MOPAR Skids, VEC, Tow Pkg., 2" Rough Country Lift, 1 1/4" Spidertrax spacers, 255/75/17 BFG M/T's, Flowmaster 50 series muffler

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    FWIW, I think the perfect combination would be an added step extrusion on the 4xG sliders. They couldn't angle upwards because of door interference... but even if they came straight outwards to use as a step as well as added trail protection (from sliding sideways into a tree). It'd also help protect the side of the vehicle from rock chips with wider wheels/tires.

Supersliders offer more lateral protection than 4x though.
    The ground clearance part didn't seem like such a big deal to me since it's still not the lowest part of the Jeep. Not to say that having them higher isn't a benefit when you aren't level while offroading, it just didn't seem like as big of a deal to me..

I was typing that last reply right as Matt was, so there is a little crossing of paths on it..

I agree though, 4x with a welded on step would have been a absolute purchase for me.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    That sideways sliding protection is a big deal my B pillar has a dent in from such an occasion.
    Last edited by Sal-XK; 06-28-2011 at 06:44 PM.

I just went through and read all the posts under the 4xGuard vendor thread and am pretty much sold on them
    2008 Overland in Black

Senior Member Getting Dirty cico7's Avatar
    When you are looking at sliders or rails, you have to figure out what you are protecting and how it will work.
    My rails did not provide a decent step nor did they protect the bottom at the pinch weld. if i got too close to a rock at 8" on
    either side, it did well. But I lost clearance and didnt protect the bottom edge.

My advice to any noobs, find out what it does and how it is supposed to work before you add something to your
    vehicle. I blew $300 on cust made crap. The welder did what I asked for, I just didnt know what I needed.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information