Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Rock Sliders

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty XK N00b's Avatar
    Also, looking at the pictures, since the boxed frame does not sit flat and level it would seem to me that it would minimize surface area contact on rocks and cause less friction dragging over them
    2008 Overland in Black
    Loaded, Leather, 5.7 Hemi QDII,
    All 3 MOPAR Skids, VEC, Tow Pkg., 2" Rough Country Lift, 1 1/4" Spidertrax spacers, 255/75/17 BFG M/T's, Flowmaster 50 series muffler

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    I will go back again tomorrow when they are finished and paint them before the are installed, I will get some photos for sharing and then install them for Camp Commander.
    2006 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi
    Dark Khaki, QDII, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Steel Armadillo front bumper with Warn PowerPlant winch, Steel Armadillo rear bumper w/ tire carrier, Rock Sliders, Light Bar & Front Fender Tube Fenders, 4xGuard belly skid plate & rear differential guard, BFG M/T A/T 255/75R17s on Rubicon rims, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, Rhino Rack Pioneer Tray with FoxWing Awning, Superchips VIVID Programmer, Air Flow snorkel, Steel Armadillo Secure Console, Cobra CB Radio, Lock Pick Video Programmer, ASFIR Skid Plates.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

AKA: the Owner of The Steel Armadillo L.L.C.

Senior Member Getting Dirty Doc in AZ's Avatar
    You guys are so funny

These are like a mini boatside rocker. The rock sliders are at an angle, the bottom of the truck is at an angle, so the rock slider sits against the bottom of the body and touches it. This does a couple things, one the rock slider is supported all the way from front to rear by the unibody. This is much better than a rock slider that is fastened to the frame and has a long stanchion that is easily bent. The whole passenger side of this jeep is tweaked upwards from sliders that bent. Secondly the unibody is now also being supported by the rock slider, this helps reduce, but will not eliminate, some of the body twist the unibodies are known for
    Stone Soup Metal Works, L.L.C.
    623.939.WELD
    5037 N. 54th Ave - Suite #5 85301
    Residential - Commercial - Automotive
    See our work on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by IamJEEP View Post
    Thats a cool tool you have there...

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    I am interested in seeing where this goes. Also, as with all of the other great mods being worked on, looking forward to more pictures

I will say this, I like how 4XG mounts theirs as well. They basically clamp it to the entire pinch weld with through bolts and a thick steel L-bracket on the other side. Pinch welds on these vehicles are very strong.. and with a setup like this you'd have to bend the entire pinch weld at the same time, which I dont really see happening.

In any case, i'm glad to see another option! Especially since I really like the steps and added protection from Doc's. It's going to be a very tough choice when i'm ready to put sliders on! (and that's a good thing)

Senior Member Getting Dirty HueyPilotVN's Avatar
    Jon said I could post these.

Last edited by Knappster; 07-28-2011 at 03:39 PM.
    2007Jeep Green Limited
    4.7 Flex Fuel, Rocky Road 2.5" Lift on front, 4 inch Superlift coils on rear, Spidertrax 1.5" Spacers, Bridgestone 265/70/17
    Chrome Nerf Side Bars, K&N CAI, Flowmaster muffler, Aluminum Diamond Plate Locking Trunk installed
    Factory Roof Pod, Blue Ox Baseplate w/D-rings, "Get Lost 4X4" Front Bumper, T-Max 9000 winch, "Get Lost rear tire carrier, 30 gal second gas tank.
    Did anyone else read the fine print in the brochure and get a $500 rebate for being a Veteran?

Senior Member Getting Dirty Omelet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc in AZ View Post
    i just saw a set of the 4x sliders today, i have always liked how they were a formed piece and had a very stock look to them, but... they only rivet inside the door sill & they are just aluminum rivets at that. i think riv-nuts would be a much stronger alternative.
    I know Matt already posted up a pick of the underside of the 4xGuard rails, but I thought I would add to it.

The rivets are not what is holding the rails on. There are 6 grade 8 bolts per side that go through the pinch weld using holes that are already there and then through the included L bracket.

This is what the rocker looks like after removing the plastic:

As you can see after the pinch weld the rocker angles up then cuts in where it meets up with the door openings. The sliders cup over this entire area. You can actually place them over the rocker and they will stay in place (makes instal quite easy). Then you drill small holes into the top of the rocker and install the aluminum(noncorrosive) rivets. At least that is what is included now that the cost of the zinc coated screws went up in price.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE that other companies are making products for us. And I have nothing against the other designs. I just don't want everyone thinking that the 4xGuard rail might fall off because they are only installed using aluminum rivets.

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the clarification!
    2006 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi
    Dark Khaki, QDII, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Steel Armadillo front bumper with Warn PowerPlant winch, Steel Armadillo rear bumper w/ tire carrier, Rock Sliders, Light Bar & Front Fender Tube Fenders, 4xGuard belly skid plate & rear differential guard, BFG M/T A/T 255/75R17s on Rubicon rims, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, Rhino Rack Pioneer Tray with FoxWing Awning, Superchips VIVID Programmer, Air Flow snorkel, Steel Armadillo Secure Console, Cobra CB Radio, Lock Pick Video Programmer, ASFIR Skid Plates.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

AKA: the Owner of The Steel Armadillo L.L.C.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Sorry i didnt make that very clear in my post... i meant to point out the fact that they're through bolted with high grade bolts, not just aluminum rivets. There is no question in my mind that they are a very solid product based on how they're mounted.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Tymac's Avatar
    Ask p@55w0rd how well that mounting system worked for him. He has the pics to show what happened.

In all honesty they can take a light hit and sliding, but the crud I throw and have thrown at them on the last trip would have wadded them right into the fender and bent the snot out of the rocker mounting area. Huey's grandson took a pic of my sliders suspending my truck off the ground when I ran it fender high between 2 boulders on Chinaman Gulch. I wouldn't have done it with any that mount to the top of the rocker panel.

Just my .02, but I like the way mine and Knappster's mount.

Senior Member Getting Dirty ped4599's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tymac View Post
    Ask p@55w0rd how well that mounting system worked for him. He has the pics to show what happened.

In all honesty they can take a light hit and sliding, but the crud I throw and have thrown at them on the last trip would have wadded them right into the fender and bent the snot out of the rocker mounting area. Huey's grandson took a pic of my sliders suspending my truck off the ground when I ran it fender high between 2 boulders on Chinaman Gulch. I wouldn't have done it with any that mount to the top of the rocker panel.

Just my .02, but I like the way mine and Knappster's mount.
    I did it with 4xG sideguards. Also dropped off the entry point to Grizzly lake using the sliders...with no issues other than paint tranferred tot he rocks.I suppose it could pull out of the rocker panel but would need an extreme hit. I know Trialbyfire had this issue from befor WCCC but i am not sure what he did to cause it.
    2010 Black LIMITED HEMI, Quadra DRIVE II, 2.25 inch RR lift, Off road tires (in garage) MAXXIS 265/70-17 on RUBI rims, 1.5 inch Spydertrax spacers, 4xguard: EVERYTHING I CAN GET MY HANDS ON! ROLA roof rack, RUGGED RIDGE 8500 synthetic winch, and a car seat with a CUTE backseat driver.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread Information