Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Plastic Cutting Board Skid Plates?

Senior Member Getting Dirty

Plastic Cutting Board Skid Plates?

FourWheeler Magazine used that real durrable plastic that cutting boards are made out of for a front skid on their Lexus. Super cost efective and their report on it was that it was great on the trails too. Might be worth checking into at least.
    2007 Jeep Commander: QTII, Leather, Sunroof, remote start, OEM Skid Plates, 2 in Daystar lift, 255.75.17 BFG Mud Terrains on Moabs, 1.25 " Spidertrax wheel spacers, 4x Guard front guard and Side Guards, Optima Red Top, Robbys half inch leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shocks, Pinch weld mod and trimming!

Senior Member Getting Dirty HueyPilotVN's Avatar
    Those plastic cutting boards are really tough. I use four of them under the hydraulic leveling pads on the Coach and they will withstand amazing amounts of weight. I drill a hole in the corner and attach a cord to retrieve them. They also clean off eaisly.

Sorry to get off topic but I can see how the might be very useful as skid plates
    2007Jeep Green Limited
    4.7 Flex Fuel, Rocky Road 2.5" Lift on front, 4 inch Superlift coils on rear, Spidertrax 1.5" Spacers, Bridgestone 265/70/17
    Chrome Nerf Side Bars, K&N CAI, Flowmaster muffler, Aluminum Diamond Plate Locking Trunk installed
    Factory Roof Pod, Blue Ox Baseplate w/D-rings, "Get Lost 4X4" Front Bumper, T-Max 9000 winch, "Get Lost rear tire carrier, 30 gal second gas tank.
    Did anyone else read the fine print in the brochure and get a $500 rebate for being a Veteran?

Senior Member Getting Dirty cico7's Avatar
    But a worthy subject. Can you color them? Does paint stick?

Senior Member Getting Dirty HueyPilotVN's Avatar
    I doubt that paint would stick. They might have different colors available that are mixed in with the plastic during manufacture. I have only seen white ones.
    2007Jeep Green Limited
    4.7 Flex Fuel, Rocky Road 2.5" Lift on front, 4 inch Superlift coils on rear, Spidertrax 1.5" Spacers, Bridgestone 265/70/17
    Chrome Nerf Side Bars, K&N CAI, Flowmaster muffler, Aluminum Diamond Plate Locking Trunk installed
    Factory Roof Pod, Blue Ox Baseplate w/D-rings, "Get Lost 4X4" Front Bumper, T-Max 9000 winch, "Get Lost rear tire carrier, 30 gal second gas tank.
    Did anyone else read the fine print in the brochure and get a $500 rebate for being a Veteran?

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    Does anyone have a link or something so I can check these out

I'll look for a link, but they just bought a sheet and cut to size. I soon as I find one Ill post it. Cheap, flexable, and durrable. Godd enough for me.
    2007 Jeep Commander: QTII, Leather, Sunroof, remote start, OEM Skid Plates, 2 in Daystar lift, 255.75.17 BFG Mud Terrains on Moabs, 1.25 " Spidertrax wheel spacers, 4x Guard front guard and Side Guards, Optima Red Top, Robbys half inch leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shocks, Pinch weld mod and trimming!

Here is the only one I have found so far.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/projectbu...lem/index.html

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    This idea came up quite a few years ago on another forum i was on.

For mud, water, snow and even sand, its a good idea. But I wouldn't go that route for rocks. Not that the material isn't durable enough, more so that you want something that'll easily "slide" on rocks without galling.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Though they did use it on rocks per the article... It just doesn't sit well with me.

Yeah but if they stole the idea from Rock Racing, I would think that they would hold up fairly well. I'm trying to get pricing on a sheet now, I think I am going to build a couple of my own skid plates to save money.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information