Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Plastic Cutting Board Skid Plates?

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    That is true. I wish they went into more detail on the benefits over steel... other than easier cutting and modifying. Maybe it retains its shape better?

Looking forward to seeing your setup. Let us know how pricing works out.

Senior Member Getting Dirty
    The 16x20
    http://www.instawares.com/Cutting-Bo...T-1520.0.7.htm

and the multi color and size
    http://www.cuttingboardcompany.com/index.asp

another one
    http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/cat...age=1&utm_id=1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

dman726749
    2007 Jeep Commander: QTII, Leather, Sunroof, remote start, OEM Skid Plates, 2 in Daystar lift, 255.75.17 BFG Mud Terrains on Moabs, 1.25 " Spidertrax wheel spacers, 4x Guard front guard and Side Guards, Optima Red Top, Robbys half inch leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shocks, Pinch weld mod and trimming!

2007 Jeep Commander: QTII, Leather, Sunroof, remote start, OEM Skid Plates, 2 in Daystar lift, 255.75.17 BFG Mud Terrains on Moabs, 1.25 " Spidertrax wheel spacers, 4x Guard front guard and Side Guards, Optima Red Top, Robbys half inch leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shocks, Pinch weld mod and trimming!

I don't feel like reading a bunch of threads on pirate. Cliff notes?

Just started in on them, basically some prefer steel, some of the guys really like low cost and east to work with of the plastics. Plus they dont rust, need maitinance, and can be switched out fairly easily. Going to buy a sheet and see where it goes from there

Junior Member Looking for Dirt
    HDPE is an alternative to steel, and from what I can find, looks like it comes in opaque, white, yellow, and black. I would rather have a stainless skid plate, just my thoughts. I know HDPE is used with ATV's but I'm not sure having a 5000 pound vehicle coming down on a plastic skid plate is going to work.

Are you saying that HDPE is equivalent to steel?? Or by "alternate" do you just mean "another option"?

It's definitely not equivalent, but it does have some high strength applications.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty TrialByFire's Avatar
    My biggest concern would be that HDPE is flamable! You would have to be carefull where it is used. Also, it is not bendable like steel (w/o heating it at least). It would have to be at least 4 times as thick as steel to have anywhere near the same strength (3/4" to 1" I suspect) which might cut clearance.
    '06 XK Limited, 5.7 Hemi, QDII, OME struts & HD springs, JBA UCAs, 285/70R17 BFG KM2, 4XGuard Sliders, 4XGuard Diff Guard, Fox 2.0 reservoir shocks, custom bumpers and Warn xi9000
    Wish list: SFA, in-dash Windows 8 PC
    http://www.fuelly.com/driver/Blade/commander

Junior Member Looking for Dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt_ View Post
    Are you saying that HDPE is equivalent to steel?? Or by "alternate" do you just mean "another option"?

It's definitely not equivalent, but it does have some high strength applications.
    HDPE is the type of plastic that was used at a skid plate. I was just saying that it is an option, just not an option I would use. Imagaine one of your front tires slipping off a rock and said plastic skid lands on another rock. Is that going to save your radiator? I would much rather have a metal skid plate.

Hey I just thought these were cool. [I] think people use them over the top of a metal fram or skid plave to make it slicker. Being that they have no heat rating, I guess I'll see if these can be used or not.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information