Thread: Filling T-Case... capacity dilemma

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar

Filling T-Case... capacity dilemma

So i have an interesting dilemma on my hands...

While changing all of the fluids in my wifes KK, I found that the specified fluid capacity was MUCH less than what it takes to come out the fill hole. Specified capacity is 1.9 quarts but it took almost double that to get the fluid to come out of the fill hole. Note that the owners manual does state to fill until fluid comes out the fill hole... which is almost DOUBLE the specified capacity. Even alldata states that the fluid capacity is 1.9 quarts but to "fill until at the bottom of the fill plug".

So while im dealing with this, trying to get a solid answer of how much fluid is actually supposed to be in there, i thought to myself.... what about our XK???

The NV245 also calls for 3.8 pints (~1.9 quarts). When i did my XK tcase fluid i just pumped in 2 quarts, nothing came out the fill plug but i didn't think anything of it. Well, i checked my 2007 XK Service Manual and sure enough it says that we're supposed to fill to the bottom for the fill plug....

Has anyone filled their T-Case per the service manual? How much fluid did it take? I'm wondering if i have the same issue with my XK as i do with my wifes KK....

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    I filled mine to the bottom of the fill hole. Can't remember how much it was but I do remember it was more then the what the book called for.

Senior Member Getting Dirty CmmdrDan's Avatar
    Hmm I need to do this and my diffs this weekend. Got a big trip coming up next weekend! OBX Can't wait! Ill be there for my Birthday!!

Senior Member Getting Dirty Adondo's Avatar
    Mine was the complete opposite. I bought enough expensive synthetic fluid to cover everything in the 30,000 mile service, (According to the book) and still have enough left over for my upcoming 60,000 mile service.
    2006, 4.7L, QTII, Toyo Wild Country M/T 265/70R17 tires, Ultrasport 175 wheels, Rocky Road 2.25'' lift kit, HID off-road lighting, Surco 50x60 roof rack, Foxwing awning, Superchips performance programming.

Quote Originally Posted by Adondo View Post
    Mine was the complete opposite. I bought enough expensive synthetic fluid to cover everything in the 30,000 mile service, (According to the book) and still have enough left over for my upcoming 60,000 mile service.
    So your t-case took less than 2 quarts?? You didn't have the front up in the air and the rear on the ground did you?

Also, i did check my fluid yesterday and it was within 3/16" of the fill plug so im good there. For my wifes KK im just going to fill it up to the drain plug like the manual specifies and see what happens. I have a few years left on the warranty so if something happens, its on them... i followed the instructions.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty
    I have always just filled it up until I see a drip from the fill hole. Never had a xcase problem in either the XJ or WK.. granted these xcases are different from yours.

Yeah... pretty much EVERY tcase is supposed to be filled up to the drain plug. What threw me off with my wifes KK is that the spec'd amount of fluid was almost half of what it actually takes to fill it up. Usually its really close, like no more than 1/2 quart off.

Senior Member Getting Dirty Adondo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt_ View Post
    So your t-case took less than 2 quarts?? You didn't have the front up in the air and the rear on the ground did you?

Also, i did check my fluid yesterday and it was within 3/16" of the fill plug so im good there. For my wifes KK im just going to fill it up to the drain plug like the manual specifies and see what happens. I have a few years left on the warranty so if something happens, its on them... i followed the instructions.
    I added up all the capacities, (of everything) then bought enough fluid to cover it all. I still only used about half of it. Maybe I did the math wrong while looking at the manual.

By the way, we have a 12,000 lb. capacity Bend Pak here at the shop, so there ain't no crawlin' underneath. http://www.bendpak.com/car-lifts/two-post-lifts/
    Last edited by Adondo; 07-22-2011 at 04:06 PM.
    2006, 4.7L, QTII, Toyo Wild Country M/T 265/70R17 tires, Ultrasport 175 wheels, Rocky Road 2.25'' lift kit, HID off-road lighting, Surco 50x60 roof rack, Foxwing awning, Superchips performance programming.

Thread Information