Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: For my 3.7L homies....

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty IamJEEP's Avatar

For my 3.7L homies....

I have some info for the guys wanting more power and torque out of their 3.7L. I know that it is just about tapped out and theres not much out there for these engines. But, I have been posting in another forum about the Hypertech programmer and it looks like we might be in luck. I will cut and paste from another forum and bring it here, quoted. Some people do not like Hypertech, but it's all we have for now as far as a programmer. I'll do my best to quote the following in order.........................

Quote Originally Posted by Dubtype1 View Post
    I'll give Hypertech a call and see what they say. I really don't need to re-gear but would like to get rid of that annoyance and get a little more umph off the start line.
    Quote Originally Posted by stanton3 View Post
    Ok let us know what they say. I really want a programmer that can allow for things like tcase swaps too.
    I called and spoke to their tech support. According to the tech, their Hypertech 52001 Max Energy Power Programmer is what will cure my "hunting" issues. He said it is caused by the lack in torque because of the bigger/heavier tires. The programmer will let you change shift points as well as re-calibrate the speedometer. It also removes limiters in the program (EI: Rev limiter and speed limiters). He mentioned that if I do a gear swap that it will automatically adjust for it...?... <---I didn't understand that part. I guess when you adjust for bigger tires and the shift points, IDK. I looked in Amazon and it's on sale for under $300 (originally $500), so that's not too bad. Alltho, Amazon says that this programmer will not fit my vehicle, the tech assured me that it will work with my 3.7L QT1 Commander.
    ****Uwharrie Aprroved****
    2006 Commander Sport- 3.7L- 4X4*Inferno Red Crystal Pearl*Rocky Road 2.25" lift *"Limited" Color-Matched Rear Grab Handles*Mopar Hitch/Harness*4xGaurd Matrix w/Fogs*Rear Bumper Lights*Tinted Front Side Markers*MHT Fuel Hostage 17x8.5 +14ET*Nitto Terra Graplers 265/70/17*
    --------->My Garage<------------------

RAGE ROOF RACK MEMBER #2
    Quote Originally Posted by AJeepZJ View Post
    Then I drove her hard for about 45 mins.

Continued.....

Quote Originally Posted by jblock View Post
    so it will work even though it says it wont?

Hypertech tech support says it will work, Amazon.com says it won't. I would lean towards the manufacturer's advise instead of an online store.
    I was told by their tech support that the calibrator will not correct for gear swaps but the programmer will.

Did they mention any chance of making something?

For some reason I just don't trust the hypertech, maybe its just me :dunno:
    No plans as of yet. They said to keep checking back, i have them on speed dial......<---yeah right ..(superchips)
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackedOutWK View Post
    theres a thread on another forum (j**pgarage DOT org) about someone running a new superchips tuner for 3.7's, it does NOT recalibrate for tire size but it's supposed to be a legit tuner. he posted the guys email that is selling them, if i get time later i will find it and post up. i think hes selling them for somewhere around $260.
    Thats interesting. The tech support rep from Superchips told me there was no such thing.
    here is what the original post said...

"I have been working with the SCT dealer, [email protected] for about a month now. Great guy!! Very helpful!!

For us 3.7L Guys/Gals it will run you $265, since they don't make cams or heads, etc for our jeeps. Contact him for more info.
    **Programmer also works as a diagnostic code reader.

SO FAR
    I'm running just the 87 octane tune and the Jeep shifts smoothly, downshifts correctly for power!, and I can only assume it will improve gas mileage when I feather it around town. Hit 115mph in no time... LOL

and this is only the 87 tune! Just put $40 in the tank last night so gotta wait til its gone before i can run the 93 octane!! CANT WAIT!

Contact [email protected]. GREAT GUY"
    2006 Commander Sport- 3.7L- 4X4*Inferno Red Crystal Pearl*Rocky Road 2.25" lift *"Limited" Color-Matched Rear Grab Handles*Mopar Hitch/Harness*4xGaurd Matrix w/Fogs*Rear Bumper Lights*Tinted Front Side Markers*MHT Fuel Hostage 17x8.5 +14ET*Nitto Terra Graplers 265/70/17*

RAGE ROOF RACK MEMBER #2

Continued.....

from what i understand the 3.7 has a seperate tcm from the pcm which is why there isn't a tuner that can also adjust for gearing, tire size, etc...so we would have to run something like this teamed up with the hypertech to get what everyone else gets with 1 unit. sucks!
    According to tge Hypertech support team, we would gain 35hp and i forgot how much torque gain he said . So, i dont underdtand why we need to programmers? The hypertech "supposidly"(sp?) does it all.
    i highly doubt that. this sctuner is the most ligit performance mod that i've read about for the 3.7 so far and it only gives something like a 14hp gain. many companies "claim" a lot of stuff (people claim air intakes will give you 35hp but we all know that isn't the least bit true). then again, i would certainly like to see someone try hypertech so we can get real imput on the results...so get on it!
    Quote Originally Posted by criket View Post
    I plan on trying out the company that I mentioned in another post that would reprogram my ECM for 3.73's. So I found a used ECM and I think I'll purchase that and send it to them. I'll be the ginnie pig (spelling?) for this one if someone else will try the Hypertech. Any takers, lol ?
    Heres the reply:
    as of right now, SCT is the only tuner that I'm aware of that will work for the 3.7 and it's only working through 2006 models. I'm hoping Diablo will come out with something for '07+ but nothing is avail for right now

I thought that someone already had one on an 07 though?

RAGE ROOF RACK MEMBER #2

Continued....

Yea that definitely seems like the best bet so far. Please keep us updated! How much did you pick up the ecm for? How long is the reprogramming suppose to take? Do you know if it would be possible for him to reprogram for say, a new tcase?

I doubt its that much. For some reason I just don't trust hypertech, it might give a little more power but I really doubt it does gears like they say.

well guys, the good thing is, it seems like people are finally starting to listen to the demands of the 3.7 crowd, so hopefully soon something nice and reliable will come out for us. i just some people are willing to take the leap and try these different options out so the rest of us can hear/decide what is best!
    Here is a quote from a Liberty thread..........
    Originally Posted by SuperRliBerty
    The Hypertech programmer has similar features to the superchips That I want in a programmer for my Jlib....
    F superchips

http://www.hypertech.com/Performance...bishi_3_7L.pdf

http://www.hypertech.com/products-results.aspx

So, I think i will be the ginnie pig if the chips fall in my wallet's favor. I dont have upgraded gears but i do have bigger tires and a sluggish lunch box.
    Quote Originally Posted by cmdrjim View Post
    Looking at the HyperTech website, it lists 2007-2010, and you have a 2006 right?

RAGE ROOF RACK MEMBER #2

Continued......

Yes, but the Hypertech "tech" said it would work with my '06. If it doesn't then i can return it according to him. I am going to call again in the morning and double check before i order. I will also see if my buddy can hook me up with someone with a dyno.

RAGE ROOF RACK MEMBER #2

That's it, I hope it makes sense. Basically the Hypertech programmer "supposidly" will boost up the 3.7L +35 hp and also be able to re-calibrate for bigger tires and gear changes. I will be calling Hypertech tomorrow and speaking to their tech support again to make sure that it'll work with the '06 models. On their web site it says "2007-2010" 3.7L. I hope to be able to get dyno runs before and after to see if it actually did anything. So stay tuned and post up your input, concerns, or what not.

RAGE ROOF RACK MEMBER #2

Ok, I spoke to Hypertech this morning for confirmation. Well, it will NOT work on the '06 3.7L. :nono: The one they are releasing soon will be for the '07-'10 3.7L models, WTF? Why leave the '06s out of the loop. They said that after the '07 release, they will eventually do one for the '06 models. Bunch of crap, I had my hopes up.

On a good note.....Their speedo calibrator does work for the '06-'10 models and will correct tire sizes up to 44"s and gear swaps up tp 3.70. Plus it's cheaper but does not add hp or torque.

RAGE ROOF RACK MEMBER #2

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    That stinks bro there must be something different in 06 for them to leave that year out. I would imagine if they could of bundled that year in they would of because there profit margins will drop making a stand alone for just one year which makes me think they probably won't ever do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sal-XK View Post
    That stinks bro there must be something different in 06 for them to leave that year out. I would imagine if they could of bundled that year in they would of because there profit margins will drop making a stand alone for just one year which makes me think they probably won't ever do it.
    Thats what im thinking, why waste time and money for a one year only product. Back to the drawing board.

RAGE ROOF RACK MEMBER #2

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty pjmjr508's Avatar
    looks like it is time to upgrade to a newer one with the Hemi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    PJMJR508
    (Happy Jeep)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information