Thread: carfax

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Senior Member Getting Dirty cico7's Avatar
    Carfax is a tool available for use. One of many. Here i can look up a title, for free, and see how many prior owners and where it was sold. That is another tool. Mechanics are tools. Some more than others but dont poop on the op's request for this tool. He didnt ask your opinion of carfax.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    Ok we have enough opinions on car fax for the OP to be informed and aware and take the info with a grain of slat. Is there anyone that can pull a car fax for free and help out.

Senior Member Getting Dirty Ross's Avatar
    Just one more story Sal lol...When I got my XK, the carfax came up clean, but a week after, I ended up having to take it to the dealer and leave it there for a month while they rebuilt the entire transmission. Even though it was done for free under warranty, it still was quite the annoyance.
    2008 3.7L QT-1 dark blue Jeep Commander // 3+" modified OME lift with 3/8" Rocky Road strut spacer // 4" rear SL springs // 265/70/17 Goodyear Duratracs (Load E) // 1.5" spidertraxx spacers // F-150 Monroe Load Levelers // 4xguard matrix, front guard, belly guard, and rock sliders // 130 watt KC Daylighters - 2 // Airflow snorkel // Thrush welded exhaust // Defender Roof Rack with side ladder // Hypertech Max Energy Programmer

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    I don't thing the function of carfax is to tell you the trans will blow. I believe its to see if its been in a wreck or salvaged at some point.

Senior Member Getting Dirty cico7's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cico7 View Post
    Carfax is a tool available for use. One of many. Here i can look up a title, for free, and see how many prior owners and where it was sold. That is another tool. Mechanics are tools. Some more than others but dont poop on the op's request for this tool. He didnt ask your opinion of carfax.
    I have concluded I did not like my response here. It may seem scathing or downright rude. My apologies.
    I only wanted to make the point caxfax is a tool, but I came across rather strong. No one brought this up
    or mentioned any to me about this, I re-read it and decided I did not like my reply.

Don

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty strokeZ's Avatar
    No worries - I was just as strong in my opinion. I just hate to see someone else get burned as I have before in the past relying on only one data source or at least a "publicly trusted" one.
    2012 Jeep JKU Rubicon - 4-1/2" AEV lift w 35" Toyo's

03 BMW Z4 2.5i ESS Stage 2 Supercharged, Custom Suspension, Stebro Exhaust, Hamann Side Skirts

85 BMW 535is Lowering springs, bilstein sport shocks, extra attitude

Junior Member Looking for Dirt
    Thanks for the info. I was only using it to see if any major damage and number of owners. I take a solid look at everything i buy and purchased a used 98 328i. Thanks for your opinions.

Ckb

Thread Information