Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Painting ideas and technique.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    I'm going to do this in stages. I'm going to start with the front bumper and see how it looks then if all is good the back bumper. If I still like it the wheel flares then last thing I'll do is the bottom of the doors.

I have the front bumper painted already my hand cramped up after all the sanding and priming and caused me to have a run in the paint I also have the driver side wheel flare done it looks great. I'm going to get something to eat I'll try to get some pics up later.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty IamJEEP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal-XK View Post
    I have the front bumper painted already my hand cramped up after all the sanding and priming and caused me to have a run in the paint I also have the driver side wheel flare done it looks great. I'm going to get something to eat I'll try to get some pics up later.
    Cant wait to see this.........
    ****Uwharrie Aprroved****
    2006 Commander Sport- 3.7L- 4X4*Inferno Red Crystal Pearl*Rocky Road 2.25" lift *"Limited" Color-Matched Rear Grab Handles*Mopar Hitch/Harness*4xGaurd Matrix w/Fogs*Rear Bumper Lights*Tinted Front Side Markers*MHT Fuel Hostage 17x8.5 +14ET*Nitto Terra Graplers 265/70/17*
    --------->My Garage<------------------

RAGE ROOF RACK MEMBER #2
    Quote Originally Posted by AJeepZJ View Post
    Then I drove her hard for about 45 mins.

Here is a couple of pics of the progress. It's 104 outside so I'm inside taking a break from the heat and the fumes. I really stink at painting to by the way I could never do this for a living LOL

Senior Member Getting Dirty
    Nice, that looks great
    2007 Jeep Commander: QTII, Leather, Sunroof, remote start, OEM Skid Plates, 2 in Daystar lift, 255.75.17 BFG Mud Terrains on Moabs, 1.25 " Spidertrax wheel spacers, 4x Guard front guard and Side Guards, Optima Red Top, Robbys half inch leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shocks, Pinch weld mod and trimming!

Senior Member Getting Dirty NeilSmith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Dude, you should come hang with me for a couple of days ! It was 103 the other day but the temp in the booth was 112, it draws air directly off the roof. At our shop, the body side has a.c that will keep it comfortable at least, the paint side has no a.c and with both boothes baking and radiating so much heat it wouldn't help anyway. I drink between 10 and 12 bottles of water a day and try my best to at least stay inside out of the sun. When painting in temps like this, I have to use the slowest reducers and hardeners so that the base and clear dont start setting up too fast. It takes some getting use to, thats for sure.
    '07 Commander 3.7 V6
    2" Rough Country Lift with Vision Warriors and Goodyear Duratracs 245/75R17
    BajaRack Mega-Mule with KC Daylighters
    http://s624.photobucket.com/albums/t...cpZZ1QQtppZZ20

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty IamJEEP's Avatar
    Looking good homie!
    ****Uwharrie Aprroved****
    2006 Commander Sport- 3.7L- 4X4*Inferno Red Crystal Pearl*Rocky Road 2.25" lift *"Limited" Color-Matched Rear Grab Handles*Mopar Hitch/Harness*4xGaurd Matrix w/Fogs*Rear Bumper Lights*Tinted Front Side Markers*MHT Fuel Hostage 17x8.5 +14ET*Nitto Terra Graplers 265/70/17*
    --------->My Garage<------------------

RAGE ROOF RACK MEMBER #2
    Quote Originally Posted by AJeepZJ View Post
    Then I drove her hard for about 45 mins.

Blog Entries
    Thats starting to look nice. One other thing I need to mention. When using spray paint in the humid summer months, try to do it on a less humid , dry day. Have you ever spray painted something and it kinda turned milky white instead of a true black ? Thats what is called " blushing ". Basically , the moisture in the air is being trapped in the paint and the white look is the water. Usually it will evaporate out but not always, sometimes the paint will dry and " cap " over the moisture. This not only looks bad but can lead to premature adhesion failure and it starts to peel off. This usually happens during the summer, especially if its raining out. Just wait for a better day. Try doing it earlier in the morning before the humidity gets crazy.
    '07 Commander 3.7 V6

Ok I have 1 1/2 wheel flares to go but I'm done for today. I'll try to finish Sunday it's suppose to be a little cooler outside. Here are some pics of the parts I got done.

My test piece is solid and I just hope that the rest dries just as hard. I had some issues doing it but the heat and some stuff just made it hard I'm not a painter that's for sure LOL. Everyone including myself thinks it looks pretty good so far I'm happy. We'll just have to see how durable this stuff is it wasn't cheap but not the best money can buy either. At this point I'm not confident enough in the product to use on the bottom of my doors but we will see.

Blog Entries
    That looks very nice. Now, you know you gotta wear that hat and pose with the finished product. LOL
    '07 Commander 3.7 V6

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information