Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HP to Dollars.....is it worth it.?

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty IamJEEP's Avatar

HP to Dollars.....is it worth it.?

What's a good HP to $ number? JetChips claims 12hp and 10lbs of torque for thier stage one programmer (for the 3.7L). It runs between $230-$300 depending where you buy it. I found it for $230 so that's roughly $20 per hp......Is that reasonable?

Now i have read bad reviews for JetChips, but this is not about reviews, just about hp/$ values.
    ****Uwharrie Aprroved****
    2006 Commander Sport- 3.7L- 4X4*Inferno Red Crystal Pearl*Rocky Road 2.25" lift *"Limited" Color-Matched Rear Grab Handles*Mopar Hitch/Harness*4xGaurd Matrix w/Fogs*Rear Bumper Lights*Tinted Front Side Markers*MHT Fuel Hostage 17x8.5 +14ET*Nitto Terra Graplers 265/70/17*
    --------->My Garage<------------------

RAGE ROOF RACK MEMBER #2
    Quote Originally Posted by AJeepZJ View Post
    Then I drove her hard for about 45 mins.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    It depends I guess bro but paying hundreds per 1HP gained is not to bad. Once your really into it and hunting for HP gains that number can turn into thousands for 1HP gained real fast.

Senior Member Getting Dirty Doc in AZ's Avatar
    Speed Costs money.... how fast can you afford to go?

12 horse power and 10 ft/lbs of torque... rather than looking at the horsepower gain calculate the percentage. If you had only 12 hp to begin with and were doubling it for that price its not bad. But if you have 300 hp then adding twelve is like spitting in the ocean... you feel like you contributed something but no one really notices.
    Stone Soup Metal Works, L.L.C.
    623.939.WELD
    5037 N. 54th Ave - Suite #5 85301
    Residential - Commercial - Automotive
    See our work on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by IamJEEP View Post
    Thats a cool tool you have there...

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty strokeZ's Avatar
    I have a Jet chip. All I can say about it is that it gives me better throttle response. As Doc says - no noticeable difference in HP or torque. If you are looking for cheapest $/HP then you need to look at forced injection. Case in point - the supercharger I installed in my other car gave me 57% increase in HP and a 43%increase in torque. In terms of $/HP it was $48 / HP - now that is real value that you can feel in the seat of your pants. I have looked and looked for either a turbo kit or supercharger kit for the XK - lots of Mopar stuff but no one that has tuned one of these to our ECU's. You can be adventurous and try it yourself OR you can try and get a tuner to do it for you. If I had to guess - and this is just a guess - I would say after the Jet chip, CAI and cat back I might have eeked out 15-20 hp - pretty expensive ponies....
    2012 Jeep JKU Rubicon - 4-1/2" AEV lift w 35" Toyo's

03 BMW Z4 2.5i ESS Stage 2 Supercharged, Custom Suspension, Stebro Exhaust, Hamann Side Skirts

85 BMW 535is Lowering springs, bilstein sport shocks, extra attitude

Speed for sure costs money. There will be no plug and play cheap option for your engine.

You are right Sal - even if you did find a FI solution for our vehicles, you then have to worry about all the other components that might be effected. I could have gone with a stage 2 or stage 3 supercharger for my other vehicle at a slightly lower $/hp value but then I would have needed to swap the clutch and rear diff to handle that much of an increase. My '07 stock is something like 248 hp - and I would be happy with an increase up to 330 hp - but you either take very small steps for a lot of $/hp or you bite the bullet and pay gobs of cash for a huge increase. I would estimate that a properly tuned FI system would get my 4.7L up to near 400 hp if not more. For our vehicles I would give up top end or 0-60 times for gobs more torque. Can't get one without the other tho!

03 BMW Z4 2.5i ESS Stage 2 Supercharged, Custom Suspension, Stebro Exhaust, Hamann Side Skirts

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty IamJEEP's Avatar
    I totally understand that speed costs money, im just seeing if that was a good number and if it is worth it. Not looking for a dragster here, thats what my other vehicle will be for. Im just looking for a little more (noticable) umph.

So Stroke, you don't think its worth getting the Jet Chip? Did the chip help with mpg any?
    ****Uwharrie Aprroved****
    2006 Commander Sport- 3.7L- 4X4*Inferno Red Crystal Pearl*Rocky Road 2.25" lift *"Limited" Color-Matched Rear Grab Handles*Mopar Hitch/Harness*4xGaurd Matrix w/Fogs*Rear Bumper Lights*Tinted Front Side Markers*MHT Fuel Hostage 17x8.5 +14ET*Nitto Terra Graplers 265/70/17*
    --------->My Garage<------------------

RAGE ROOF RACK MEMBER #2
    Quote Originally Posted by AJeepZJ View Post
    Then I drove her hard for about 45 mins.

Hard to say on MPG. I installed it the same weekend as the RR lift and 265's from stock. Of course the stage 1 requires 89 octane so that mixes things up too. I can tell you that going with larger tires I did not see a decrease in MPG. Now that I have the 4" w 285's I am seeing a decrease in MPG - but that's expected. With the RR lift / 265's I could average mid 17's on the highway and around 14 in the city - not bad at all. Now I am getting 16's HWY and 12 city with the 4"/285's

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    When i look at programmers, i ignore the HP and Tq claims... they're all inflated figures anyway.

You're not going to feel a 10 HP difference, what you will feel (which makes it seem more powerful) is quicker throttle response, firmer shifts, and adjusting shift points... and some other things that do help the engines run more efficient if you have the ability to adjust the fuel trims and such. Unless you're doing other mods that require tuning to adjust for (such as cam swaps, forced induction, etc), the actual power gains are usually a moot point.

So IMO, look at a $$ Vs. Features of the programmer. Get the one that lets you adjust the most in terms of tires/gears/shift points/etc. Almost all of the programmers will increase the throttle response in their "canned" tune since that's probably the #1 SOTP's improvement in driveability.

If it's worth it or not is up to you bro. If you dedicated to getting more HP then you must start somewhere. Maybe check a tuner shop and get someone to write you a custome tune. I think new gears would give you the kick your looking for but that starts all it's own problems right there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information