Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HP to Dollars.....is it worth it.?

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty strokeZ's Avatar
    Just to fully answer your question IamJeep - do I think it's worth it? Well if I had to do it all over again I would pick up a programmer rather than a chip. The additional functionality with a programmer that Matt_ mentions to me is worth the increase in cost over a chip. Don't forget that with a programmer you can also dial in your tire size to get accurate mph and mileage calcs in the computer.
    2012 Jeep JKU Rubicon - 4-1/2" AEV lift w 35" Toyo's

03 BMW Z4 2.5i ESS Stage 2 Supercharged, Custom Suspension, Stebro Exhaust, Hamann Side Skirts

85 BMW 535is Lowering springs, bilstein sport shocks, extra attitude

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty IamJEEP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt_ View Post
    When i look at programmers, i ignore the HP and Tq claims... they're all inflated figures anyway.

You're not going to feel a 10 HP difference, what you will feel (which makes it seem more powerful) is quicker throttle response, firmer shifts, and adjusting shift points... and some other things that do help the engines run more efficient if you have the ability to adjust the fuel trims and such. Unless you're doing other mods that require tuning to adjust for (such as cam swaps, forced induction, etc), the actual power gains are usually a moot point.

So IMO, look at a $$ Vs. Features of the programmer. Get the one that lets you adjust the most in terms of tires/gears/shift points/etc. Almost all of the programmers will increase the throttle response in their "canned" tune since that's probably the #1 SOTP's improvement in driveability.
    The Hyprtech programmer claims to do all of the above but, they didn't make one for the '06s.
    ****Uwharrie Aprroved****
    2006 Commander Sport- 3.7L- 4X4*Inferno Red Crystal Pearl*Rocky Road 2.25" lift *"Limited" Color-Matched Rear Grab Handles*Mopar Hitch/Harness*4xGaurd Matrix w/Fogs*Rear Bumper Lights*Tinted Front Side Markers*MHT Fuel Hostage 17x8.5 +14ET*Nitto Terra Graplers 265/70/17*
    --------->My Garage<------------------

RAGE ROOF RACK MEMBER #2
    Quote Originally Posted by AJeepZJ View Post
    Then I drove her hard for about 45 mins.

Quote Originally Posted by Sal-XK View Post
    If it's worth it or not is up to you bro. If you dedicated to getting more HP then you must start somewhere. Maybe check a tuner shop and get someone to write you a custome tune. I think new gears would give you the kick your looking for but that starts all it's own problems right there.
    It's not really worth it to me, at least not 10 or 15hp. If i could find a shop to make me a tune without having to sell them my girlfriend, then i would think it would be worth it. Gear swaps.......ahh, too much of a headache for this vehicle to even think about.
    2006 Commander Sport- 3.7L- 4X4*Inferno Red Crystal Pearl*Rocky Road 2.25" lift *"Limited" Color-Matched Rear Grab Handles*Mopar Hitch/Harness*4xGaurd Matrix w/Fogs*Rear Bumper Lights*Tinted Front Side Markers*MHT Fuel Hostage 17x8.5 +14ET*Nitto Terra Graplers 265/70/17*

RAGE ROOF RACK MEMBER #2

Quote Originally Posted by strokeZ View Post
    Just to fully answer your question IamJeep - do I think it's worth it? Well if I had to do it all over again I would pick up a programmer rather than a chip. The additional functionality with a programmer that Matt_ mentions to me is worth the increase in cost over a chip. Don't forget that with a programmer you can also dial in your tire size to get accurate mph and mileage calcs in the computer.
    Thank you (& everyone else) for your input. I agree that it is best to wait for a programmer with more tunning abilities to come out.

I ordered a speedo re-calculator for my tire set-up, i should have it mid-week, next week.

RAGE ROOF RACK MEMBER #2

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IamJEEP View Post
    It's not really worth it to me, at least not 10 or 15hp. If i could find a shop to make me a tune without having to sell them my girlfriend, then i would think it would be worth it. Gear swaps.......ahh, too much of a headache for this vehicle to even think about.
    Most shops around here do tunes for equal to or less than what you'd pay for a programmer. Have you tried calling around?

Im a fan of handhelds because I like being able to adjust for tires sizes (which i have been known to change often) and other parameters on my own. But since you're even more limited in options for the 3.7L, if you can find a good local tuner that may be the best bet...

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty strokeZ's Avatar
    If i could find a shop to make me a tune without having to sell them my girlfriend, then i would think it would be worth it. Gear swaps.......
    BTW...girlfriends are easier to find than Commanders ;-)
    2012 Jeep JKU Rubicon - 4-1/2" AEV lift w 35" Toyo's

03 BMW Z4 2.5i ESS Stage 2 Supercharged, Custom Suspension, Stebro Exhaust, Hamann Side Skirts

85 BMW 535is Lowering springs, bilstein sport shocks, extra attitude

Quote Originally Posted by Matt_ View Post
    Most shops around here do tunes for equal to or less than what you'd pay for a programmer. Have you tried calling around?Im a fan of handhelds because I like being able to adjust for tires sizes (which i have been known to change often) and other parameters on my own. But since you're even more limited in options for the 3.7L, if you can find a good local tuner that may be the best bet...
    This is my next step, going to start making some phone calls.

RAGE ROOF RACK MEMBER #2

Quote Originally Posted by strokeZ View Post
    BTW...girlfriends are easier to find than Commanders ;-)

LOL, you are right but this one is a keeper.

RAGE ROOF RACK MEMBER #2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information