Thread: Roof Rack Sizing

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Senior Member Getting Dirty cico7's Avatar
    MAtt, Doc, quit screwing with the stock rack and rail and modifying it. Start over. Meaning, I was looking at a rack on a Hummer today. It's system is the width of the vehicle
    and sits quite low. I think you should start with the rails, then the supports, then rack.

Of course it is easy for me to say that since I have no time or money invested in this. Ok, feel free to bash my idea.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Lol that is a valid idea... but would take a considerable amount of time to develop.... and time is money.

I actually emailed doc an idea last night, and now the I have a rack modeled ill probably model my newest mounting idea tonight. Basically I'm thinking Doc may be able to have 3 of the floor crossbars extend about 4" out of each side. Then I would just machine those mounts that I'm developing to clamp around those 1" diameter bars and completely eliminate the need for load bars. The rack can't get much more low pro than that......

Another benefit of this is that the mounts would also work with Yakima load bars... so they'd be dual purpose. They'd also be easier to machine since I wouldn't have to mill a deep square groove... I'd just blast a 1" hole in the mount and then cut it to make it 2 halves.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty pjmjr508's Avatar
    Maybe you can make some mounts like that for the Rola Roof Racks from 4x so I can remove the cross bars & just have the rack lower & attached to rails & on top of cross bars.

They should clamp up the same way.
    PJMJR508
    (Happy Jeep)

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pjmjr508 View Post
    Maybe you can make some mounts like that for the Rola Roof Racks from 4x so I can remove the cross bars & just have the rack lower & attached to rails & on top of cross bars.

I don't know what the rola mounts look like. Take some pictures and post them in this thread:
    http://www.xk-forum.com/showthread.p...ss-Rail-Mounts

pjmjr,
    Here is my Rola rack attached directly to my cross bar....

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty pjmjr508's Avatar
    I have it setup the same way, but it to high above the jeep. from what I have seen on how Matt wants to make mounts that go directly to the rails to the rack which will remove the need for cross bars and the cross bar towers as well. In turn will make it sold with the roof rails and lower it to the roof. I hope I making sense
    PJMJR508
    (Happy Jeep)

I have it setup the same way, but it to high above the jeep. from what I have seen on how Matt wants to make mounts that go directly to the rails to the rack which will remove the need for cross bars and the cross bar towers as well. In turn will make it sold with the roof rails and lower it to the roof. I hope I making sense
    I understand and agree. I would like to see that as well.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty IamJEEP's Avatar
    Lol, you guys are behind the times......Sal and I allready have that low-pro set up on our Jeeps!!! Cheap too! =P
    ****Uwharrie Aprroved****
    2006 Commander Sport- 3.7L- 4X4*Inferno Red Crystal Pearl*Rocky Road 2.25" lift *"Limited" Color-Matched Rear Grab Handles*Mopar Hitch/Harness*4xGaurd Matrix w/Fogs*Rear Bumper Lights*Tinted Front Side Markers*MHT Fuel Hostage 17x8.5 +14ET*Nitto Terra Graplers 265/70/17*
    --------->My Garage<------------------

RAGE ROOF RACK MEMBER #2
    Quote Originally Posted by AJeepZJ View Post
    Then I drove her hard for about 45 mins.

Thread Information