Thread: Roof Rack Sizing

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar

Roof Rack Sizing

Well, im fairly certain that my next "big" mod is going to be a roof rack. There have already been a few times that I wish I had a rack up there to strap stuff to.

Looking at rack options and I want something big, for 3 reasons:
    1- If im putting something up there, I want to utilize as much space as possible
    2- I want something long enough to strap skis and snowboards down to (most of which are under 6' long)
    3- I like the looks of a large rack (hehehehehe snicker snicker snicker snort snort). Seriously though, they look weird from the rear if they're too thin, and if they're too short they look like a "top hat".

So I started taking some measurements and really think that, talking in terms of outside dimensions, a 47.5" x 72" rack is the way to go.

The reason I'd like to keep the rack around 47.5" is because the roof rack rails are closer together in the rear of the XK and I want to make sure my rack does not extend over the rails. There are two reasons for this:
    1- I am going to make my own load bar mounts. If the roof rack extends over the location where my bolt [or attachment mechanism] is going to be for the load bar mount, then I limit myself to load bar and mounting options. For example i'd have to use a recessed type load bar mount, which would work with Sals unistrut setup, but I'd like the ability to use Thule, Yakima, etc load bars if so desired. And the extra 1" width isn't that big of a deal when im already talking about an inside width of over 45".
    2- I want to be able to attach accessories to the side of the rack and have them still confined within the width of the roof. There's a few reasons for this... from aesthetics to trail clearance and even just so you dont have residual rain water dripping on passengers as we enter/exit the vehicle.

I took some width measurements where I think the rear-most crossbar would mount. The leading edge of the tape is on the inside edge of the roof rail, so I still have some space between where these measurements are and where the cross rail mounting bolts would be:

As far as the length is concerned... It looks like 72" is the way to go. I could possibly go further, but I don't want it to look like a visor hanging over the dip in the roof. And, which i'll get to later, im likely going to have Doc fab one up for me so i have to stick within a 20` circumference. So 72" is pretty much the max if im going to be close to 48" wide.

I also wanted to give it some room in the back so that there wouldn't be any interference with the hatch open. In the following pics you can see where the 72" long rack would probably sit...

Thoughts?

UPDATE:

CLICK HERE TO JUMP TO POST #59
    <------ Start roof rack install here
    Last edited by Matt; 08-12-2011 at 05:27 PM.

Thread Information