Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Roof Rack Sizing

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar

Roof Rack Sizing

Well, im fairly certain that my next "big" mod is going to be a roof rack. There have already been a few times that I wish I had a rack up there to strap stuff to.

Looking at rack options and I want something big, for 3 reasons:
    1- If im putting something up there, I want to utilize as much space as possible
    2- I want something long enough to strap skis and snowboards down to (most of which are under 6' long)
    3- I like the looks of a large rack (hehehehehe snicker snicker snicker snort snort). Seriously though, they look weird from the rear if they're too thin, and if they're too short they look like a "top hat".

So I started taking some measurements and really think that, talking in terms of outside dimensions, a 47.5" x 72" rack is the way to go.

The reason I'd like to keep the rack around 47.5" is because the roof rack rails are closer together in the rear of the XK and I want to make sure my rack does not extend over the rails. There are two reasons for this:
    1- I am going to make my own load bar mounts. If the roof rack extends over the location where my bolt [or attachment mechanism] is going to be for the load bar mount, then I limit myself to load bar and mounting options. For example i'd have to use a recessed type load bar mount, which would work with Sals unistrut setup, but I'd like the ability to use Thule, Yakima, etc load bars if so desired. And the extra 1" width isn't that big of a deal when im already talking about an inside width of over 45".
    2- I want to be able to attach accessories to the side of the rack and have them still confined within the width of the roof. There's a few reasons for this... from aesthetics to trail clearance and even just so you dont have residual rain water dripping on passengers as we enter/exit the vehicle.

I took some width measurements where I think the rear-most crossbar would mount. The leading edge of the tape is on the inside edge of the roof rail, so I still have some space between where these measurements are and where the cross rail mounting bolts would be:

As far as the length is concerned... It looks like 72" is the way to go. I could possibly go further, but I don't want it to look like a visor hanging over the dip in the roof. And, which i'll get to later, im likely going to have Doc fab one up for me so i have to stick within a 20` circumference. So 72" is pretty much the max if im going to be close to 48" wide.

I also wanted to give it some room in the back so that there wouldn't be any interference with the hatch open. In the following pics you can see where the 72" long rack would probably sit...

Thoughts?

UPDATE:

CLICK HERE TO JUMP TO POST #59
    <------ Start roof rack install here
    Last edited by Matt; 08-12-2011 at 05:27 PM.

So now... the roof rack options.

The closest thing that ORU makes to my desired size of 47.5x72 is a 42x72. Granted, that's not bad... it's only 5" thinner than ideal, but they're not exactly cheap racks and there has been some questionable quality issues raised on the forums.

I was checking out Neils bajarack megamule. It's got the width right at 48"... but its 64" long. The length isn't that bad of a thing... but its cutting it close, it would put the leading edge at the top of the crest in the roof (looking back at my pictures, it'd be at the 8" mark in the tap). So that's definitely an option. My concern here is that I may run into issues trying to put my skis on that rack and opening up the rear hatch. The skis would have to protrude out the rear of the rack (which seems doable), so i might have to move the rack forward a bit to compensate. However, there is the chance that the skis will be high enough up that the hatch won't hit them when open.... just some things im thinking about.

Without a doubt i'm going to get a quote from Doc. I actually have a friend with an F150 that may be interested in a roof rack as well... so maybe if we order two we can split the shipping (depending on how Doc ships them... pallet?).

Edit: Oh and Surco has a 45x60. Again, not bad on the width.... i can make that work. But 60 is just going to be too short.
    Last edited by Matt; 07-23-2011 at 11:03 AM.

Another roof rack option that I just came across is the Yakima MegaWarrior (#8007080). It's LxWxH dimensions are 52x48x6.5.

At first I thoght "damn, whats with the short racks?" then remembered that Yakima has extension kits. Add on p/n #8007082 which is a 22" extension and I'll be sitting at a solid 74x48x6.5. So other than custom built by our forum local, the Yakima looks pretty good as well. (Price isn't that bad... $315 with free amazon price shipping, plus another $120 for the extension. So around $440 said and done definitely makes it a solid option)
    Last edited by Matt; 07-23-2011 at 11:15 AM.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty pjmjr508's Avatar
    this is what I have & I like it.
    http://4xguard.com/Product/RoofRack.html
    the size is 66 x 37.5 x 4 inches
    PJMJR508
    (Happy Jeep)

Yeah the Rola Racks are nice and price very competitively. They're just way too thin. Don't take this the wrong way, but I think they look kind of strange in the front and rear views... kind of like someone ordered the "wrong size" rack for the vehicle. If they had a 45-48" width option then they'd be in serious contention.

Edit: they do seem to fit the WK's better though...

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty pjmjr508's Avatar
    I do see what your saying, I have my hi-lift jack attached to the side of it. That along with the rack equals out I feel.
    PJMJR508
    (Happy Jeep)

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty
    I don't know how many of you get the 4wheelparts magazine issue. I followed this one article in the June 2011 article and it is a SICK roof rack that was custom made by the XXXpedition team. Granted this is on an JK. BUT, i'm sure something similar, or even better, could easily be made for the WK/XK - since we have a stiffer more sturdy frame above. Check THIS link to see the rack i'm talking - thing is ridiculous.

then click the triangle with the XXX - no it's not sketchy material or anything****

Quote Originally Posted by pjmjr508 View Post
    I do see what your saying, I have my hi-lift jack attached to the side of it. That along with the rack equals out I feel.
    Ah yeah.. good point. High lift on one side and a shovel or something on the other would even it out quite a bit. The majority of my use will be for sports and/or family trips, so that's another reason id like to optimize the width.

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinWK View Post
    I don't know how many of you get the 4wheelparts magazine issue. I followed this one article in the June 2011 article and it is a SICK roof rack that was custom made by the XXXpedition team. Granted this is on an JK. BUT, i'm sure something similar, or even better, could easily be made for the WK/XK - since we have a stiffer more sturdy frame above. Check THIS link to see the rack i'm talking - thing is ridiculous.
    Doc can pretty much fab up anything we want. That's why my #1 option right now is to have him make me a roof rack to size. I'm fairly certain that his roof racks are more sturdy than our XK's roof is anyways, lol. I'll definitely be using a triple crossbar installation regardless of which rack I go with, but especially with Doc's.

On another note, my friend works at a bike shop... happens to be a Yakima dealer as well. So he's going to get some prices for me. There are some other reasons I like the Yakima, but not really offroad reasons. It comes with accessory crossbars for mounting any of their attachments on to... so i'd be able to throw a fork mounted bike carrier up there (when I ride, im usually meeting people... so its kind of annoying to throw my Thule Revolver in the hitch every time for carrying 1 bike..)

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty
    I used to sport all 3 at one point, but I love Yakima. At one point I had Yakima Crossbars, 2 Yakima Bike racks, It was fine loading and unloading bikes. But then I lifted the dang jeep and tossed the Yakima Load Warrior up there.. It became a PITA to take the bike on and off it. I ended up selling the Bike Racks, and bought a Thule hitch receiver bike rack.

I'd pay some good coin for the Megawarrior

Back when I had my lifted explorer and 2 bike racks on the roof I used to carry around a milk crate to stand on for loading/unloading the bikes

Now when I lift the XK some more... that'll be a challenge! But that's not going to happen for at least another year and a half.. .possibly longer depending on how work goes.

I am hoping that the Yakima markup is quite high. If i can get that rack for a really good price, that could potentially mean some rock rails in the very near future... and then i'll be all set for some Rousch Creek wheeling next spring!!

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information