Thread: Roof Rack Sizing

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    So now... the roof rack options.

The closest thing that ORU makes to my desired size of 47.5x72 is a 42x72. Granted, that's not bad... it's only 5" thinner than ideal, but they're not exactly cheap racks and there has been some questionable quality issues raised on the forums.

I was checking out Neils bajarack megamule. It's got the width right at 48"... but its 64" long. The length isn't that bad of a thing... but its cutting it close, it would put the leading edge at the top of the crest in the roof (looking back at my pictures, it'd be at the 8" mark in the tap). So that's definitely an option. My concern here is that I may run into issues trying to put my skis on that rack and opening up the rear hatch. The skis would have to protrude out the rear of the rack (which seems doable), so i might have to move the rack forward a bit to compensate. However, there is the chance that the skis will be high enough up that the hatch won't hit them when open.... just some things im thinking about.

Without a doubt i'm going to get a quote from Doc. I actually have a friend with an F150 that may be interested in a roof rack as well... so maybe if we order two we can split the shipping (depending on how Doc ships them... pallet?).

Edit: Oh and Surco has a 45x60. Again, not bad on the width.... i can make that work. But 60 is just going to be too short.
    Last edited by Matt; 07-23-2011 at 11:03 AM.

Thread Information