Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Custom Roof Rack Mounts

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Remember, these are some concepts and I had minimal time to model. The "squareness" is just a time saver for modeling.... I'm focusing in the attachment method right now. Once I hammer down the method I'm going with ill tweak the design for aerodynamics and aesthetics.

Ok so this is my absolute favorite method.... I'd just need to make some (what i'd call) adapter plates to convert the strangely angled roof rails to a nice flat surface. Then, with the brackets extending about 1" below Doc's rack I'll have about 1/2" roof clearance (that I could increase or decrease by making some new adapters which would be relatively cheap and easy to machine).

Just need to hear from Doc on his thoughts about this idea and to work on a quick quote to see if its a path I can afford to pursue. If it looks good, we'll work on some more of the details such as actual dimensions and locations of the mounts.

Edit: And if I do go with this method, I'll be using socket head cap screws. That will help resolve any issues with bolt head (and tool) clearance with the rear mounts and look cleaner from ground level. Also makes it a little harder for someone to randomly remove since its a large hex size. May even look into some tamper resistant bolts...

Last edited by Matt; 07-25-2011 at 02:39 PM.

Hmmmm... some tamper resistant button head would really fit the bill and look even cleaner from ground level.

Pretty sure I'll be going a route similar to this with my bolts regardless of which installation method I go with

Here's the direction im going with the load bar mounts.

I really like the double bolt clamp setup. Im working on some ideas to make the bolts hidden, but without killing myself with the machining. If only I could use the CNC's at work!!! Then i'd make a nice "top" section that would be curved and have the bolts countersunk completely out of view... (still might go for something like that, just have to figure out how it'll go together within my home-workshop machine capabilities and without taking a day per mount).

SIDE NOTE: Not bad work considering i did these 1 handed (got a passed out infant on my left shoulder).

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    The new deck that I have on my Commander bolted directly too the legs attached to the rails, I do not have cross bars anymore.
    2006 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi
    Dark Khaki, QDII, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Steel Armadillo front bumper with Warn PowerPlant winch, Steel Armadillo rear bumper w/ tire carrier, Rock Sliders, Light Bar & Front Fender Tube Fenders, 4xGuard belly skid plate & rear differential guard, BFG M/T A/T 255/75R17s on Rubicon rims, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, Rhino Rack Pioneer Tray with FoxWing Awning, Superchips VIVID Programmer, Air Flow snorkel, Steel Armadillo Secure Console, Cobra CB Radio, Lock Pick Video Programmer, ASFIR Skid Plates.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

AKA: the Owner of The Steel Armadillo L.L.C.

Wooot... put the kids to bed nice and early and was able to get some work done.

I think i'm getting close to a workable design

Note that I offset the bolts a bit to the exterior of the vehicle. That's to clear a 48" wide rack at the rear-most mounts. The rack will almost touch the top clamping plate.

Senior Member Getting Dirty Doc in AZ's Avatar
    Why don't you quit screwing around and build the darn thing already! I honestly don't have plans for anything I build except a couple bumpers that are production items. I just start making it, then if I like it I reverse engineer it.
    Stone Soup Metal Works, L.L.C.
    623.939.WELD
    5037 N. 54th Ave - Suite #5 85301
    Residential - Commercial - Automotive
    See our work on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by IamJEEP View Post
    Thats a cool tool you have there...

Because I don't have a building full of material stock to play around with.

One of the benefits of 3D modeling. I change the design hundreds of times and not spend a penny

Senior Member Getting Dirty Doc in AZ's Avatar
    That's what I would miss most if I sold my shop ... all the "drop" I have to play with
    Stone Soup Metal Works, L.L.C.
    623.939.WELD
    5037 N. 54th Ave - Suite #5 85301
    Residential - Commercial - Automotive
    See our work on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by IamJEEP View Post
    Thats a cool tool you have there...

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty pjmjr508's Avatar
    Matt this was a quote from the other thread that got my attention and why I was so many questions on about doing it to my rack now.

"Then I would just machine those mounts that I'm developing to clamp around those 1" diameter bars and completely eliminate the need for load bars. The rack can't get much more low pro than that...... "

Post 28 on the other thread.

My roof rack does not have a mesh or floor cover so that idea would work for me to bring the roof rack lower to the jeep roof & do away from load or cross bars & attach the roof rack to roof rails on the roof of the jeep
    PJMJR508
    (Happy Jeep)

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread Information