Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What parts should I be watching for problems now that I am lifted and wheeling more?

Senior Member Getting Dirty

What parts should I be watching for problems now that I am lifted and wheeling more?

I took the Jeep and left my Altima for the old lady today, and everything still seems fairly tight for steering, but maybe a little pull to the left. Just wondered what you guys thought would wear out first. I am no mechanic, and really can't do much more than brakes and oil changes, but some advice as to what I need to watch would be really helpful. This is our "Minivan" so I want it as safe as possible for the family.

Thanks for any help
    2007 Jeep Commander: QTII, Leather, Sunroof, remote start, OEM Skid Plates, 2 in Daystar lift, 255.75.17 BFG Mud Terrains on Moabs, 1.25 " Spidertrax wheel spacers, 4x Guard front guard and Side Guards, Optima Red Top, Robbys half inch leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shocks, Pinch weld mod and trimming!

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    CV boots, balljoints, tie rods, steering rack&pinion, serpentine belt, air filter

Change drivetrain fluids often, especially after driving through deeper than expected water (fluid gets ingested through the seals)

cool, maybe this weekend I will tackle the diffs and Tcase. The air filter is stark white, and I will set up a routine on these parts. Thanks man, I appreciate advice.
    2007 Jeep Commander: QTII, Leather, Sunroof, remote start, OEM Skid Plates, 2 in Daystar lift, 255.75.17 BFG Mud Terrains on Moabs, 1.25 " Spidertrax wheel spacers, 4x Guard front guard and Side Guards, Optima Red Top, Robbys half inch leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shocks, Pinch weld mod and trimming!

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Yeah man you just Want to keep an eye on stuff. If you hear a strange noise or it drives funny, don't wait until a catastrophic failure.... inspect it.

Senior Member Getting Dirty Doc in AZ's Avatar
    depending on the amount of lift you need to watch the following

CV joint angle - jack your rig up off the ground and turn the front wheels and feel if there is any binding or clicking. while it may only happen at full droop, it will begin to wear with regular road milage as the suspension travels.

Ball joints - the arms i took off jon's rig were completely shot, the threaded part of the ball joint was just dangling there, completely blown out

tire wear - watch for cupping, feathering & other unever wear patterns, make sure you have it aligned after you install the lift

suspension bushings - keep an eye on them and make sure the lift kit isn't binding the suspension somehow and causing premature wear, this is to include shock bushings... again, on jon's rig the aftermarket shocks were not correct and were wobbling around in there.
    Stone Soup Metal Works, L.L.C.
    623.939.WELD
    5037 N. 54th Ave - Suite #5 85301
    Residential - Commercial - Automotive
    See our work on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by IamJEEP View Post
    Thats a cool tool you have there...

Senior Member Getting Dirty NeilSmith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    you say it may be pulling to one side. did you have an alignment done after the lift ? if not, do it. if so, have the shop re-check it.
    '07 Commander 3.7 V6
    2" Rough Country Lift with Vision Warriors and Goodyear Duratracs 245/75R17
    BajaRack Mega-Mule with KC Daylighters
    http://s624.photobucket.com/albums/t...cpZZ1QQtppZZ20

No cupping or weird wear yet, but the LCAs took a couple hits over the 4th. I got another 1/2 inch spacer to put on that I got from RObby so I will try the allignment again after I put that on. Ball joint problems fixed with the JBA UCAs? Thanks for all the advice, had the Commander on the trail 4 of the last 6 weekends, and wanted to do a PM on everything

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    Nothing beats a good hands on inspection of your rig bro. Jack that thing up crawl around look and pull on everything make sure its all good. My shock bolt was flattened it was obviously crushed by a rock from off roading If you notice something don't be lazy or cheap and just replace the part. If you can't afford the part don't wheel it until it gets fixed. Sometimes I hear noises but can't figure out what they are and I just have to wait for the part to fail but if I think the noise is a failing part I can't find I won't wheel the rig.

Works for me, safety is my main concern being my family car. I have pulled on almost everything and it still seems tight. Guess I will just wait for breakage to replace, if it is working for you it is good enough for me right, lol. What sliders are you getting? Baby moma is puting me in the same spot, I have to get rails, 4x guard belly guard, and gas tank skid before she will leave me alone

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty pjmjr508's Avatar
    Nothing agents Doc's sliders. I have the 4x ones & they look & work for me at least really great
    PJMJR508
    (Happy Jeep)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information