From my state, Washington:
Source: http://www.tri-cityherald.com/2011/0...+Breaking+News

LEGISLATURE: Driver’s license bill called racist, anti-immigrant
By The Spokesman-Review

A legislative hearing over a proposal to make driver’s license applicants give the state a Social Security number and a verifiable residence was abruptly halted after some members of the audience called the plan racist and anti-immigrant.

Senate Transportation Chairwoman Mary Margaret Haugen, D-Camano Island, ended the Thursday hearing when several people in the audience tried to shout her down over the purpose of Senate Bill 5407.

The panel had listened to a full hour of testimony, with some witnesses saying the bill would make the state safer by preventing terrorists from obtaining licenses and others who said it would make the state less safe because undocumented immigrants would still drive, but without licenses or insurance.

Haugen insisted several times the bill wasn’t about immigration: “To work in this country, you have to have a Social Security Number. We’re just asking for a Social Security number.”

When she asked Department of Licensing staff to explain how the bill would work, they said applicants would be asked for the number, as they are now. If there’s any question about residence, licensing staff must “establish whether they are lawfully present” in the state.

The panel will return to the issue later, she said.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

I am an enrolled American Indian. When I renew, I have to show just about everything except my BIA ID card. Heck, if I want a library card, I need a utility bill with my name/address on it. No wonder the illegals are flocking here to to get ''legit'' driver's licenses. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what they can do in other states armed with an official ID from good ol' lax WA state.