Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OME vs Budget Boost

Senior Member Getting Dirty hoaxci5's Avatar

OME vs Budget Boost

Do we have any regulars here with an OME lift? I don't recall anyone, I'd love to see some pics to compare the two. I know there are a handful of WK's that have OME but I'm XK bias

And I can't search for OME.. it's too short.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Looks wise they're not going to be drastically different... if at all.

If you can afford the OME, that's the way to go. As you add on skids, racks, etc, those heavier springs are worth their weight in gold.

But if you can't justify the money up front, you can't beat $150 for a spacer kit to get ya started!

I already have a 2.25 RRO BB, but I'm thinking shocks and struts are worn out.. so I'm still trying to justify the extra cost of just going with OME stuff. I've got pretty much full armor at this point so it makes sense from a weight standpoint, but it's still a pretty hefty price premium over stock replacement parts.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty pjmjr508's Avatar
    same as hoaxci5 I am feeling the weight of the armor & thinking of switching out the RC budget lift I have for the full HD OEM lift.
    PJMJR508
    (Happy Jeep)

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    I have the Old Man Emu suspension lift on my XK. I installed it in late February and I absolutely love it. However, if I were to do it all over again I think I would have went with the MED duty coils. The HD coils make a very stiff ride. Other then that, no complaints. Previously I had a 2 icnh BDS spacer lift with Bilstein HD struts and 5150 rear shocks. The Bilsteins were absolutely garbage and blew out several months after install. As far as looks, the only difference is the OME lift will make the XK sit a hair tall. At least thats what I experienced when I swapped the kits out.
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Do you happen to have OME and BDS pics?

Are you figuring maybe 1/2" difference between the two?
    You have skids and belly guard, but not front guard or rock sliders? (just trying to figure weight difference since I have both of those and was looking hard at HD)

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    FWIW any thing is a better lift then spacers. Spacers are just so affordable to get started out in things but should be replaced when you can if you're off roading.
    Last edited by Sal-XK; 07-30-2011 at 08:32 PM.

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    I dont believe that I have any pictures since the OME install. At least none showing ride height. As far as the BDS, there are many pictures scattered around between my two garage threads on this forum and jeepcommander.com
    I'd say a good 1/2 inch between the two kits. But like I said I went with the HD coils. Not sure what results you would get if you want with the MED duty coils. No front guard or sliders, but the coils are made to with stand heavy weight from winch bumpers without sagging. So a little armor wont hurt anything.
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    I plan on getting the OME HD setups when its time for new struts up front. I went with the RC kit because my XK only had 25k miles on it... so it really wasn't worth the price to me at that time.

But when its time for new struts, i'm not going to tear down the entire front end to reinstall spacers... might as well do it right at that point and get all new springs to help compensate for weight of add-ons. Hell, I lost 1/2" up front from my 4xG Matrix, lights and front skid.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=fwit

It's $760 for the full OME kit, or only about $300 for new struts and shocks. So an extra $460 for a little more height, and better ride I assume, but I don't know how much better since I'm sure my current setup is worn.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information