Thread: Macho man to girlyman in less than 5 seconds

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Member Looking for Dirt redrockv8's Avatar

Macho man to girlyman in less than 5 seconds

Last Sunday I was cruising East bound I-70 about 60 miles West of Burlington, Colorado. The weather was extremely hot and clear. Off in the distance I could see a dark cloud hovering off to the North. I had been to Silverton,Ouray, climbed Pikes Peak again and roamed around Rocky Mountain National Park. I was feeling pretty good about my stock Commander as I had challenged a few moderate trails and completed them without difficulty. I was amazed at how capable my Commander performed. About 30 minutes later the visibility was down to about 5ft and a hail storm began spewing the largest hailstones I have ever driven through. Cars were stopping all over the highway and you needed a reservation to get under any underpasses. I could see huge hail stones hitting my hood and 3 sunroofs. I then heard what sounded like a little girl whimpering in the back seat. I realized these sounds were coming out of my tough guy persona as I had been reduced to a wimp by the thought of my Commander being destroyed and there was nothing I could do about it. I must have said OMG a thousand times. Each time the Commander took a hit I felt it's pain. I chose to keep driving rather than park roadside as it seem too dangerous to park among the other panicked drivers.
    Five days prior I was the recipient of a free Colorado souvenir when driving out of Bristol. I did not see another car for over 30 minutes. Off in the distance came a pedal to the metal 18 wheeler, whiskey bent and hell bound. As he passed me he fired an RPG at my windshield hitting the upper passengers side leaving a dime sized chip that I could not take my eyes off. Within 10 seconds I had exhausted all my cuss words, and I know more than most people. I stopped in a little town (Del Vista or something similar) after seeing a curb side sign that said (windshield chips fixed). $20 later I was still staring at the chip which didn't look any different to me but he was bragging how he filled in the biggest cracks that would keep my windshield from cracking further....Really?...looks the same to me..
    At any rate for those still reading I survived the hail storm undamaged except for my ego..At least a damaged ego is free.
    I had a great time in Colorado and loved traveling the Million Dollar Highway. I would post photos but don't think anyone really wants to see them.
    Be safe, enjoy your Commander...What a beast these things are.
    HT
    Last edited by redrockv8; 08-16-2010 at 04:41 PM. Reason: spell correction

Thread Information