Quote Originally Posted by ped4599 View Post
**But I think the rails themselves are what would come apart and detach from the vehicle. if you look closely they are just bolted to the roof with light bolts/screws. After my last summer trip, I have less confidence in the structural integrity of the OEM roof rails themselves. I think they are the weak link.
This is what I was concerned with after reading your post.

Due to this, when I started using my roof rack more and more, I also started using tethers in each of the 4 corners so if it became detached at least it would stay up there, even if the mounts let go. I would recommend people use a few lays of para cord or even something heavier, like cable, for safety tethers on anything you mount to the outside of your vehicle.
Agree, excellent idea.

Having been to many accidents,
Uh Oh ..

I can tell you that stuff you think its secure with a 'tie down' is going to go flying. IF you look at some vehicles made for high speed driving, many of the parts have small tethers for the hood and truck, etc.

I think the best thing would be to use several brackets -- in addition to the mounts provided -- to prevent the side to side shifting of the rack on the OEM cross bars...the would keep it from wearing on the side rails.

Nice pic....