Thread: Rugged phones

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Lifetime Member Getting Dirty 1USMC's Avatar
    I’m glad I found this thread! I have replaced more than one cell phone myself and would like to keep an eye out for a more resilient one also.

This may be a little off topic but thought I’d pass this info along.

I noticed the Casio® G'zOne Commando phone meets” Military Standards 810G”.
    A few years ago I would have thought that meant a lot more that it does. Then I had to order electronic items like radios and make sure they where compatible with certain working environments. What a learning curve !

Wiki states claims of …"compliance with (any) MIL-STD-810 can be misleading”…
    See Wiki’s >>Applicability to consumer products << section at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIL-STD-810

The 810G water rating is > Rain drip, 15 minutes of exposure to dripping water, Using Method XXX and Procedure XXX. Most commercial products claim “compliance “ with a mil standard but rarely spend the $ and actually have it tested and get a “Certification of Compliance”. Example.. http://en.getac.com/pdf/X500_810G.pdf

One standard I now look for, is if the product has an IP rating , like; IP65.
    IP (Ingress Protection) is a two digit code. The first digit describes
    the degree of protection against access to hazardous parts and ingress of solid objects. The second digit designates the Ingress Protection against water. 0 is no protection; 6 for digit one and 8 for digit two is the highest protection.

Therefore an IP 65 rating means that the unit is: Protected against access with a wire (1.0 mm), is Dust tight and can handle Jetting water - any direction.
    See " IEC definitions" >> http://www.canarysystems.com/nsupport/canary_an4.pdf << for all the levels.

I’m hoping there is already or soon will be an affordable cell phone that advertises a hi IP rating.
    Last edited by 1USMC; 06-13-2012 at 05:03 PM.
    2010 Limited > 5.7 > Pearl Black > QDII > 4" Superlift w-SSR > Bilstein HD Struts + 1/4" spacer > RCV cv Axles > JBA 6" Springs + Matt's 1/2" Spacer > BDS adj LCA > 285-65-18 Nitto Trail Grappler MT's > Moto Metal 951 > K&N CAI > Flowmaster 50 > 4xGuard-Front/Belly skids + Grill Hoop w/ Front Receiver + Rear Diff. Guard > PIIA 520 ATP > Front Camera > Steel Armadillo's Rear Bumper/Tire/ Blitz Carrier/Super Sliders +Secure Console > Dual Batteries > OBA > JKS Rear-JBA Front Discos > FlashPaq

Thread Information