Page 16 of 25 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Criket's garage

Senior Member Getting Dirty criket's Avatar
    Got to work on the TJ some tonight. I been sick all week and haven't done much but cleaned up the garage.

Tonight I pulled the exhaust manifolds and installed new brass freeze plugs. As I was putting them in I realized that kit didn't have enough plugs. I need 2 more plugs. Anyway, I put in what I had and I'll call him tomorrow to tell him.

After that, I pulled the valve cover off to install the new valve cover gasket. I inspected the valve train while I was there. All was good, a couple of push rods were a little tight, no broken springs or loose rockers. Very good. Then I cleaned the valve cover and head and installed the new valve cover gasket.

Last edited by criket; 03-15-2013 at 07:36 PM. Reason: stupid spelling errors
    SOLD - 2005 | WK | Khaki | 3.7 | QT1 | OME HD Front Struts | Rusty's 2" lift in Rear w/ Monroe load levelers (F150 version) | 265/70 Nitto Terra Grapplers | 17" Moabs | 1.5" wheel spacers | Pinch weld mod | Rear fender trim mod | 4xG Matrix w/ reciever hitch | 4xG Belly guard | SOLID Diff cover | Cobra CB radio | 4xG CB radio antenna mount

Worked some on it again last night. Finally got all the brass freeze plugs and got them in.

And the one in the back of the head

Here is theback side of one of the original freeze plugs that I took out. Looks like the water in it had some rust. Whatcha think?

Then I took the oil pan off and pulled the rear main cap to replace the rear main seal. Everything that I've read on the interwebs says that these 4.0's leak from the rear main seal. Even after they are changed out for new ones.

Here is a pic of the crank where I pulled the old seal from the top half. It took me a while since I had to use a punch and hammer to push it around and out from the crank. One it moved, it came out very easily. I had to be sure that I didnt' nick the crank or make any major boo boos. Then I installed the new seal after coating it in new engine oil. It went in very easily (no pics of install since it's hard to hold a camera and install the new seal)

New seals from Crown automotive

Here is the main cap with the old seal in it

I couldn't get the old seal out of the main cap. I tried and ending up nicking the bearing. I carried to my local engine shop and she hit it with a scotch brite pad and soomthed it out. She was able to save the bearing!!!! Thank goodness because I would've had to buy a whole new bearing set just for half of a bearing which was over $100!!! THAT made my day.

Tomorrow nite schedule:
    -Carry main cap to work to use on a vise to get old seal out
    -Install new seal in main cap
    -Install main cap and torque
    -Install new oil pan gasket.
    -Then motor is done!
    Last edited by criket; 03-15-2013 at 07:38 PM.
    SOLD - 2005 | WK | Khaki | 3.7 | QT1 | OME HD Front Struts | Rusty's 2" lift in Rear w/ Monroe load levelers (F150 version) | 265/70 Nitto Terra Grapplers | 17" Moabs | 1.5" wheel spacers | Pinch weld mod | Rear fender trim mod | 4xG Matrix w/ reciever hitch | 4xG Belly guard | SOLID Diff cover | Cobra CB radio | 4xG CB radio antenna mount

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    Looking good!!! When will it be all back together and running?
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Quote Originally Posted by 07JeepXK View Post
    Looking good!!! When will it be all back together and running?
    Hopefully within 2 weeks. You see, I work 1st shift, Ricky works 2nd shift, and I have to babysit my son every 3rd weekend (wife is a nurse). So this build has been accomplished by working out in the garage about 2-3 hours 3-4 nights a weeks and then whenever me and Ricky can get together to work on it. It has felt VERY slow. I know Ricky wants it back running again very soon as do I.

Thanks for the kind words man. I need them, lol.

Got to work on it more tonight. I had the stomach bug yesterday, missed work and garage time. Blah. Also, sorry for the lack of pics. Camera died after 3 pictures, dangit!

Carried the main cap to work and used the vise to get the other half of the rear seal out. Took all of 30 seconds. So pissed, I need a vise BAD!

I put the new seal in the main cap, cleaned the cap and bearing, put bearing back in cap, main cap back in motor, torqued it to 80 ft lbs and BAM! New rear main seal in.

Then I reinstalled the spider thingy that connects all the main caps together. Not really sure why it has it but anyway. Bottom end all buttoned up

Then I cleaned the bottom of the block and the oil pan and installed the new oil pan gasket. I put plenty of rtv sealant around the gasket so it shouldn't leak (1.5 tubes of black rtv to be exact. Probably overkill but screw it, I ain't doing this again anytime soon) Sorry no pics of oil pan and gasket, camera died at this point.

Tomorrow night's schedule:
    -Install final brass freeze plug on rear of block
    -Reinstall exhaust manifold and driver motor mount
    -Clean up garage. It's a friggin mess!!!!!
    Last edited by criket; 03-15-2013 at 07:40 PM.

Good progress tonight. Once again I was sick all weekend and didn't even go out of the house so I made up for it tonight

Installed that final brass freeze plug in the back of the block. Had to remove the flywheel first. Oh and always make some sort of lines or something so you'll know which way the flywheel goes.

My wicked paint marks.

The flywheel is actually pretty heavy. I was surprised but I guess that it is heavy because of the looong inline 6. Everything else on this mother is heavy, why not the flywheel eh?

Then I installed this last bad boy. It's a shame that no one will ever see it.

Then to top it off, I reinstalled the exhuast manifold. BTW, the intake and exhaust are held on by the same bolts (huge washers grab both the intake and exhaust). So after the intake basically fell in my lap while trying to line up the exhaust, I just took both off and started with the exhaust and then put on the intake. Once again, you won't be able to see those purdy brass plugs. So sad.

Motor is DONE!!!!! She is ready to be put back in the jeep. But wait. We still have a motor mount lift, body lift, and track bar to install. Oh well. Maybe this weekend.
    Last edited by criket; 03-15-2013 at 07:42 PM.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty pjmjr508's Avatar
    love following this feed, keep up the great work.
    PJMJR508
    (Happy Jeep)

Quote Originally Posted by pjmjr508 View Post
    love following this feed, keep up the great work.
    Thanks man!!! It seems to take forever, lol. But its been a blast.

Not much of an update tonight. I did manage to clean up the garage, clean my tools, and put them away. That took the majority of the time.

I did however install the 1" motor mount lift. Super easy install. We may have to take these off when we put the motor back in. I'm not sure yet. We'll see.

I hope that I can loosen all of the body mounts this week and put the 1.25" body lift on this weekend. That is this weeks and weekends goal. Here's to sticking to the plan
    Last edited by criket; 03-15-2013 at 07:43 PM.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty 06JeepXKHEMI's Avatar
    Looking good man, should thrown a stroker I6 in there!! Any idea on final lift/wheels/tires etc..?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    2K6 Limited Jeep Green Metallic/Saddle Brown Leather XK HEMI QDII Old Man Emu HD Suspension w/ Fox Emulsion 2.0 Rear Shocks 1.5" SpiderTraxx Wheel Spacers 265/70 GoodYear MTRs w/Kevlar True Dual Exhuast w/IMCO 50 K&N 63 CAI Diablo 91/Performance Transmission Tuned SA Belly Skid MOPAR Gas Tank Skid, Transfer Case Skid, Suspension Skid Front Tow Hooks 6k HID Lows/3k Fogs

Page 16 of 25 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread Information