Thread: Commander Skids and Armor

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Senior Member Getting Dirty hoaxci5's Avatar
    I didn't mean to imply you were saying that Sal, I just wanted to nip it before it did happen to/from anyone since there is so many variables in location of offroading.

When I hit my diff I did manage to cause a leak, it was minor so I drove it without a problem but it did leak.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hoaxci5 View Post
    I didn't mean to imply you were saying that Sal, I just wanted to nip it before it did happen to/from anyone since there is so many variables in location of offroading.

When I hit my diff I did manage to cause a leak, it was minor so I drove it without a problem but it did leak.
    Man you must of come down on that thing pretty hard to cause a leak. I landed on mine and dragged it down a rock and had no issues. I'm not sure but by looking at the pictures from 4xguard it just looks like the guard only protects the cover from being smashed into the gears not from peeling it back we might need to get some feed back on this from them. I would think you could just weld a piece of steel to the bottom of the diff that over hung past the cover a little bit so you could just slide right off. I'm just brain storming I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Sal-XK View Post
    Man you must of come down on that thing pretty hard to cause a leak. I landed on mine and dragged it down a rock and had no issues. I'm not sure but by looking at the pictures from 4xguard it just looks like the guard only protects the cover from being smashed into the gears not from peeling it back we might need to get some feed back on this from them. I would think you could just weld a piece of steel to the bottom of the diff that over hung past the cover a little bit so you could just slide right off. I'm just brain storming I guess.
    I didn't come down on it, I dragged it across a rock and then backed up. It didn't peel it back, but it was enough to break the silicone gasket and cause the leak. That is why I'm anxiously awaiting someone to make a yoke/diff slider more than anything else, I expect it to be $150ish and then it only takes 3 of my opps to pay for itself since synthetic gear oil is so much.

I asked 4x and they apparently have a model no plans to make a diff slider. I'm sure I could fab something up, but I'm hoping for a quality product from someone

I think a diff slider can be way easy to fab up bro. I bet since its your rig you will probably end up with something more functional then what someone will make and charge us $200 for. A solid piece of metal 12" long curved on both ends so you get on and off of it smoothly. Same can be said really for the rear sliders as well. You could weld some metal to the rails back there.

I'm not a good enough fabricator to make something easily removable to still be able to change the fluid. Believe me I've looked, as soon as someone else makes it I might be able to replicated, but I haven't figure it out yet.

Same goes for rear sliders, I could make something nasty looking I'm sure for about half the price of 4x sliders, but for as nasty as it would look and my time, I'd just pay for a quality product.

Dude at $300 for sliders I think you can make some for a lot less then half. If you spent $100 including paint I would be shocked. Grab some scrap and just start hacking at it bro and see what happens. I'll look into making some this winter as well as a diff guard when I get back to modding my jeep for the next 4 month's I'll be out wheeling it. Unless I get bored, whom I kidding I can't go that long without a mod LOL

Thread Information