Quote Originally Posted by IamJEEP View Post
^^^^^^Great report, I like your grading stats. Thanks for your input.

I was looking at the SKS, but wasnt sure about it. How is the recoil on that thing?
Recoil is the same as an AK rougly. The amount you feel on your shoulder depend on the setup. I've got the synthetic Monte Carlo stock with a thick rubber butt pad which makes it feel a little better. I've also got a compensator on it which directs the gas flow upwards and side to side as it leaves the rifle which dissipates some of the rearward energy. I like shooting mine a lot and in fact i killed my first dear with it. It's no more accurate than an AK so anything past 150 yds is going to have some variance on groupings and hitting things past 200 yds is known to most only as luck. I've shot other's SKS rifles and with a plain stock and no compensator it kicks pretty decent to the point that it's not as much fun. The action is much quicker than an AK action so if you have ever seen one that has been modified for full auto (of course i've never seen this, i would quickly advise the owner that it's fully illeagal and i don't what are you talking about.........) it is most obscene to view. You almost can't hear the divisions between the shots. 15 rds goes by per 1 full second trigger pull. I really don't own one like this but i have seen it before and it's quite amazing.

The deer i shot with the SKS hollowpoint 7.62x39 round fell in one shot. I hit him behind the shoulders right under his spine. Upon first glance it looked like a straight no nonsense shot right through. There was one clean entry and exit. Upon cleaning out the deer i saw the real story behind why he went down so quickly. He was missing something about the size of a softball worth of tissue, lungs, etc.. and the bullet made a clean hollow cavity of the area. I shot him at about 50 yds in the woods of georgia.

It's a good rifle and not too pricey if you're taking down small to medium size game (Lower south whitetail deer, cyotes, turkey, wild dogs, etc...). It wouldn't be good for hunting western large game like moose, mule deer, etc...

Here's some pics of my very plain AR15 and Remington 700. The AR15 can be had through two websites for $550 dollars. I bought the upper parts assembly and had it shipped to my door no questions asked for about $460 from del-ton.com. The lower (only the hollow shell where the trigger and magazine fit into) is the only part that has a stamped serial number and therefore the only part you have to purchase through a dealer and only costs about $50 at www.AIMSURPLUS.com. Not a bad deal. I can post real links to the exact products if you wish.

Rifiling, I was trying to be creative and go for the James Bond Opening Scene Look

When i get back from Africa I'll post some pics of my SKS, Ruger MKIII Target .22LR pistol, and possibly a few others. I just bought a CZ82 9x18mm Makarov Pistol before i left. Talk about a good pistol for the money. It feels great and is accurate, has cheap ammo and I picked it up for $200 with a synthetic holster 2 magazines and a cleaning rod. It has a fixed inner barrel and that makes it a bit more accurate than many pistols.