Thread: Fender Flares (The Continuation)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Junior Member Looking for Dirt adamag25's Avatar
    OK so I know that the idea of aftermarket flares has been beaten nearly to death and I know that a molded plastic replacement is just this side of impossible. That said i was reading this thread and looking out the window at my XK and I began to think (usually leads me to trouble). My first thought was that the design of the OEM flares leave them pretty flat to the body of the vehicle as far as the mounting surface is concerned. Second, the angle that the flare meets the body is nearly 90degrees at the top edge of the flare. My though on the issue is that rather than find a company to generate an expensive mold and take on a great deal of overhead we simply modify the existing flares. A material such as plastic or rubber that could be used as a "spacer" to fit between the OEM flare and the body would move the stock flares out as far as you would like for the thickness of your spacer... The multifaceted look of the OEM flare would allow you to add a material in either flush to the top edge of the flare or offset to create another step in the look of the flare. This would be a fairly cheap alternative to a completely new flare and even a possibility as a "home brew" project. This is just a rough draft as far as ideas go because issues like the meeting point at the front edge of the front flare and various other points would need to be addressed but worth at good thinkin over still.
    06 4.7 Bright Silver
    HILLBILLY DELUXE

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty El Cid's Avatar
    This is exactly the "solution" I've been toying with. There are still problems, but it is far easier than any alternative I've contemplated.
    Mike
    2006 5.7L Limited, Inferno Red, QDII, and all goodies. Modified Superlift 4" lift-kit, B.F.G. 285/70R17 A/Ts (1.25" spacers), Aries tail-light guards, AVS ventvisors, KC Hilites off-road lights, and from 4xGuard: Belly Guard, Front Guard 4, Matrix brush guard with Receiver and Grill Hoop, Rear Diff Guard, Rear Guard 2, Rear Sliders, and Side Guards.

Thread Information