If you need light which I still feel is advantage bad guy just turn the lights on. He's coming in from the outside street lights and headlights have his eyes in that middle ground another reason having your outside house lights on are good one more thing to kill his night vision. He is also entering an unfamiliar place as well. You are just waking up so your night vision should be good for what ever light is coming into your house which is advantage towards you plus you knowing the layout is another advantage to you. You know where he is by sound and can stalk a corner or intersections where he must come past based on his location advantage you again. Look we don't call the first person threw the door the dead man spot for nothing. I feel using lights takes most of those advantages away from you. The last time my alarm went off the first thing I did was get count of my family. Hit the wife check she's there kicked in my daughters room check she's there and still sleeping LOL My sons room not there ok pause situation changes kids under 3' tall no barrel exposure below my shoulders check. This all took about 4 seconds to accomplish about the amount of time a intruder needed to recover from the alarm making him deaf then give him another second or two to decide if he is leaving or continuing on at which point I'm ready for him. Weapon on safe finger off trigger that gives you time to think about what you're doing. That second it takes to flip the safety and transition to the trigger allows you to soak in your sight picture and make a good shooting decision.