Thread: Where did you mount your CB Radio?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Senior Member Getting Dirty superacerc's Avatar
    Alright. Sorry If I misinterpreted your question. I was trying to find out about the impedence matching system on the wilsons and on the web site for wilson it just calls it a ground. (Seems to me its being used for the same job either way) My guess is still that if the mount isn't grounded through how it's attached you'll need the wire to be grounded. Just for kicks check out how my antenna looked on my old jetta. People gave me some strange looks!
    There's a 108" whip on top of a tunable electric screwdriver antenna that i could raise and lower from in the car.

2007 Commander 4.7L, QTII, OEM Towing Option, tow hooks, 2"OME + 1/4" rusty's leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shks, Rear sway bar removed, 4xguard front skid, Offroad Unlimited Defender Roof Rack, Hella 500FF lights, 265/70/R17 BFG KM2 M/Ts 1.5" Rough Country Wheel Spacers
    http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showt...acerc-s-Garage

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty 1USMC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by superacerc View Post
    I was trying to find out about the impedence matching system on the wilsons and on the web site for wilson it just calls it a ground. ........ tunable electric screwdriver antenna...
    For more info on the Wilson .. (You will understand more of it that I, ..especially the 25 ohm re-inserts back to 50..)... http://www.wilsonantenna.com/faq.php then look under " Fiberglass antennas" FAQ's # 1 and #2

Awesome whip antenna ... I had to look up the " screwdriver" .... moving loading coil for tunning...sweet !!
    Last edited by 1USMC; 02-26-2011 at 07:39 PM.

Senior Member Getting Dirty superacerc's Avatar
    Ok.....I see what they are doing now. They are adding a 25 ohm leg onto the antenna in case you aren't accomplishing the required impedence because of the coax type, or in their example when using a cophase antenna harness which will change the impedence with it's split set of coax.

You most likely wouldn't need it then if you had proper 50 ohm coax and a decent ground.

Thanks for pointing that out. I had never thought of needing a matching segment on a CB antenna but I see why you could use it now.

The screwdriver antenna was great! I could use it for any frequencies between 3.5mhz and 50mhz. (Including the CB band) I would use it alot between classes when I was in college and had a large gap of time. I frequently sat in the school parking lot and talked to Sweden, Italy, Germany and the UK on 14mhz (20meter band) and a few times down to venezuela the antilles and central america on 10meters (28-29mhz) when the sunspots would flare up. It was great for US talking as well especially at night on 3.800 mhz.
    2007 Commander 4.7L, QTII, OEM Towing Option, tow hooks, 2"OME + 1/4" rusty's leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shks, Rear sway bar removed, 4xguard front skid, Offroad Unlimited Defender Roof Rack, Hella 500FF lights, 265/70/R17 BFG KM2 M/Ts 1.5" Rough Country Wheel Spacers
    http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showt...acerc-s-Garage

Thread Information