Thread: Street tires vs. off road tires

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Senior Member Getting Dirty superacerc's Avatar
    I would go with an MT that is less agressive and has a more even tread pattern. This way you get a decent ride and still have a pretty capable tire. Something like the Hankooks I have or the Firestone Dest. M/T, or the Nitto Trail Grappler M/T. These are a bit quieter than something like a KM2 (which I love) or some others.

Not quite relavant to the last post but....

Earlier in the thread the topic of different size tires make a difference on the calculation of MPG. Just wondering if this is a proper way to calculate the difference.

The original tires did 682.75 revs/mile.
    My Tires do 638.1 revs/mile.

My current MPG on the dash reads 15.1.

15.1 x 682,75 (what size tire the Computer thinks I have) = 10309.525 (Total revs for 15.1 miles the computer counts)

Now divide this by what I actually have : 10309.525 / 631.1 revs per mile = 16.15 MPG.

Does this sound like the correct procedure to the the Mathmatically inclined? I guess I could express it as a ratio as well which would be 682.75 / 638.1 = 1.069. I can use this number multiplied by MPG to get the correct reading I think.
    I have the 4.7L Flex and a lift. Does this sound right for what I have?

The 16.15 is city driving in Houston. I get about 17.7(dash readout) which would be 18.5-19ish, according to the math, on the HWY. (Staying right on the speed limit.)
    Last edited by superacerc; 10-04-2010 at 07:45 AM.
    2007 Commander 4.7L, QTII, OEM Towing Option, tow hooks, 2"OME + 1/4" rusty's leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shks, Rear sway bar removed, 4xguard front skid, Offroad Unlimited Defender Roof Rack, Hella 500FF lights, 265/70/R17 BFG KM2 M/Ts 1.5" Rough Country Wheel Spacers
    http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showt...acerc-s-Garage

Thread Information